1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheerleaders at girls games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I am DB_ing, but a recent story in the news seems to be one of those that splits the right/lefty camps.

A parent sued in some state or another claiming that Title IX demands that the cheerleading squad cheer for the girls basketball teams if they cheer for the boys.

I heard Rush pooh-pooh this with a sneer and saw several opinion articles with authors pulling their hair out.

But it seems pretty simple and accurate to me. If the girls cheer at the boys games, they should cheer at the girls games. Doesn't seem too complicated. Seems like it's pretty obvious under Title IX.

Or am I just so far out in left field that I can't see straight?

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I've never been to a high school where the cheerleaders didn't cheer at girls games.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I often take my kids to the local university's women's basketball games.

Though the crowd is about 1,500, what helps make it a fun atmosphere is that the mascot, cheerleaders and pep band are all there.

Oh, and your friend was abusing Title IX by only playing the men's games.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Title IX has nothing to do with this. Common courtesy does.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course it's completely obvious. If the purpose of cheerleading, as its boosters claim, is to support a school's athletic teams and generate spirit, then of course they should cheer equally for every varsity team the school sponsors.

If the main purpose of cheerleading is to give the junior macho studs on the football and basketball teams ego strokes, and to push the little bimbos-in-training out there as boy toys and apprentice-level pole dancers, then maybe not.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

While we're at it, let's have the cheerleaders cheer at wrestling meets too. Then they can cheer six days a week ... that'll be good.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Anything that allows more kids to get involved in high school and be part of something--even cheerleading for the girls games--is a good thing.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can have more than one squad, you know.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I see this as a logistical issue.

Whereas the varsity and junior varsity girls and boys teams play on average two games a week, the cheerleading staff would have to be at four games per week. I'll bet the cheerleading advisor doesn't get paid more than the coaches either. Same goes for the band director.

Extra-curricular activities can't monopolize a student's time. For the most part, girls games in my area have enough passionate and loud fans in the stands that nobody notices the difference. And it's usually a blessing to not have to scream to talk to the person next to you because the pep band is playing.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Mom: Why does my daughter only get to cheer at the girls' basketball games? She works just as hard as that blonde bimbo working the boys' games.

School: Uh, your daughter's a horse face?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The solution I've seen at many high schools is to turn the JV cheerleading squad into a "secondary" varsity squad in the winter, and they do the girls' games.

Regardless of what Title IX says, a lot of this simply has to do with how popular girls' sports are in a particular area. There are some areas where the girls draw nearly as well as the boys. There are some areas where they get 20 people after school.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Great issue.

In high school, we cheered for both. The girls were perpetual contenders, and the boys consistently stunk, so we much preferred to cheer for the girls anyway.

I don't know why more universities don't offer cheerleading scholarships as a simple solution for complying with Title IX. Methinks it's a pride thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted