1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering on press row?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Maybe the MVP gave you a man hug because he thought you were a flirt, hottie and a sweetie.

2. KP

KP Active Member

I root for ABOT.
    Anything but overtime.

3. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Why does everyone root for a short game. What would you rather be doing, working in the office or something? I mean, if it's a 9:30 game or something I understand, but rooting for a 1 p.m. game to end is just dumb.
    Also, Ike, do I know you? I thought I created the line, "I root for me."

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

The main time I've covered a game and saw cheering on press row is when the school's SID/stat staff got seats on press row.
    Was covering a JUCO Hoops regional tournament a few year back and Team A's stat keeper almost got a T for yelling on press row. Person was sitting two chairs down from me, and the alternate ref was next to me, he immeadiately told him to stop or it would be a T.

For some of you, I can understand why it's difficult not to feel for these kids and sometime become emotionally attached to them. Especially in today's age. We are all journalists who work under the pretext of "remaining objective" but still remember that most of us are writing for a specific crowd. If I'm covering Timbucktwo vs. Hicksville for the Hicksville Press, it should be written nuetral enough to not sound homerish but Hicskvillish enough to know that they are the people reading it. In today's society where information on who won and how is readily available, the hometown paper remains the key element in the community to relay local news for the local people. There is a fine line to be drawn. But as part of that we do become part of the community. Heck, I've lived here for over a decade now, I know every local coaches' entire family history. I am a part of this community.

That being said, I have hugged two athletes. The first was a college football standout who I covered in high school He came back to town and he saw me and said hi. No biggy. 2) The second was Cat Osterman last season. But that was a bit odd too. Her family and my family are good friends, so I've known her since she was like 2. Hadn't seen her in about 5 years. UT was in town so I went to the game.

5. BlacknGold

BlacknGold Member

There was a reporter who almost got booted out at the Fiesta Bowl this year after cheering a touchdown. They didn't kick her out, but I think she left on her own.
    Also was fun because it was our rival paper.

6. screw ethics if you have a chance to hug Cat Osterman

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Hmm ... never thought of that ...

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I work for one of four papers of similar size in my area, and I bump into guys from the other three papers constantly at prep games where our coverage areas overlap. Never had a problem with anybody from those shops... all professionals, all decent guys.

It's the guys at the community papers that are often guilty. I sat next to one guy once, but left at halftime after he started screaming at the refs.

People have a hard time believing that I don't care who wins. Come state tournament time, our coverage area is so big that sometimes we're almost guaranteed a team at state because some of them get wedged into the same bracket.

When that happens, my internal thought process is simple: you've got to go either way. Might as well write about a state champion. Have I or will I ever stand up and cheer for Local High at a state tournament? Hell no. Do I hope they win? Yup... why not? State championships are easy to write about.

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

This hugging threadjack has been quite a strange turn. I can't imagine ever hugging an athlete I cover, much less a high school one. Not even for ethical reasons, I just can't imagine ever being close enough to a high school athlete for it to even be a possibility.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you're a girl, it happens a lot. Nothing worse than an old, sweaty basketball coach giving you a hug after his team wins an important game.

I got really good at avoiding hugs from kids and coaches there for a while.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

I also hug back, and I am a 37-year-old male, not sure if I'm creepy looking or not, you'd have to ask my wife. I was at the state wrestling championships and after the heavyweight from one of my six local schools won his third straight state title, he walked off the mat and after hugging his coach headed for me and stuck out his hand, so I stuck mine out to shake his, while in my other hand I had my tape recorder. He grabs my hand and lets go, bear hugs me, so I hug back.
    Had a high school basketball player get hit in the throat during a girls basketball tournament and after the game, I approached her to see how she was and what type of injury it was. After asking, she told me thanks for being concerned, leaned in, hugged me and gave me a peck on the check. No, I did not kiss her back, but it shows kids have emotions and we need to respect those and not make them feel weird about it.
    On another occasion, a star pitcher for a small school softball team got into an argument during pregame warmups and just quit the team on the spot. Several girls became upset, at the time I was sitting in the teams dugout writing down the team's lineup, when a player just a few feet away burst into tears. She learned over onto my left shoulder and covered her face with her hands, I put my arm around her and try to calm her down. If I had pulled away, what would the kid thought. More important, I would have thought of myself as an A-hole for doing so.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

Slappy once threatened to beat me up if I said the word, "overtime," during a regional prep tourney. I guess it's bad luck to do so and might cause the next game to go into...you know the only eight-letter cuss word in the English language.

Draft saved Draft deleted