1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering on press row?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have rooted on press row many, many times. Sometimes for the team I was covering. Sometimes against. I may have even said a prayer.

But they were always silent and always hoping that:

* the game ended quickly so I could make deadline
    * or maybe someone gets another rebound for triple double so I have a good angle
    * or that the team down 20 points would freakin stop fouling and calling timeouts
    * or perhaps selfishly that a team wins and qualifies for a trip to Vegas or something.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I love watching the radio guys during basketball games get all upset about officials' calls.

And I did hear a newspaper guy at one of the conference tournaments I did this year use the word "we" in two different questions.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Ace speaketh the truth there, brothers and sisters.

Covering a U. of Florida basketball game earlier this year, I was amazed that they had installed baseline press seating in favor of fan seats on press row.

rb

4. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

For what it's worth, rooting for your story is completely different. I've definitely cheered in my head for an injured player to make a big shot or for a big-time underdog to beat the team I'm covering. That's cool, as far as I'm concerned. And on deadline, I definitely am anti-overtime.
    As far as this Liami Rolphins thing you're talking about, I'm not sure about that. But if you've ever covered the Rew Nork Tiants (or a team that sounds like it), you know all about dealing with cheering in the press box.

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i have no problem telling fans that i don't care who wins or loses. That is our job. we write what happens, whatever the outcome is. if the local team loses, ok. if they win, fine. i have to write a story either way. i root for the clock so the game ends quickly.

you tell them that you have to remain objective at all times to be fair, and they usually understand.

oh, and I worked at a very small paper as well, with just one county team, and they had no problem understand that you are friendly with them, but when it's game time, you are going to do your job and not be biased. although my boss, who was also our photo guy, openly cheered and high-fived players after touchdowns. made me look bad, but people knew where i stood and respected it.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Nice try, dooley. And thanks, shotty.

To clarify my position, I believe cheering and high-fiving, etc., is unacceptable. I conduct myself so that nobody can accuse me of being unprofessional at an event. But if the sweetest kid on the basketball team comes out of the locker room and hugs me after I ask him about the end of his senior season, I'm not going to treat him like a leper. As I said, I don't initiate. But I don't ignore.

7. It was a fairly common sight in NCAA pressrooms to see reporters openly cheering when it looked like Bob Knight or John Thompson was going to lose to an underdog. Despite the difficult personalities of those two, it still looked unprofessional on the part of the media.

8. girl friday

girl friday Member

the Celtics are getting bad with selling the seats. heck, even some of the assistants don't get *on* the court because they now sell seats next to the bench so you can get an up-close view of Doc Rivers' (or Lawrence Frank's, whichever the case may be) over-dramatic protestations over every call the officials make.

but they're a grand a pop, and Wyc has to pay Doc's $5 mill a year somehow...

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

When people ask me who I was rooting for, I told them I rooted for a quick game with an obvious hero. Every once in a while, I got my wish.

10. Along these lines, one of my dearest sportswriter friends in the business once told me this:

"I root for me."

One of the best quotes ever.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Always root for a quick conclusion and if the team you need to cover can;t win the whole thing, lose quickly and painlessly

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Funny you mention hugs because I got two this week. From a girl from the juco women's team I cover after their season ended, and the MVP of the men's tournament gives me the "man hug" after I interviewed him. The girl I could understand because she's a flirt and a hottie and a sweetie, but the MVP dude ... never had met him before.

I've worked at medium-sized papers for my seven years in the biz. I still cannot believe the number of homers who get so excited during the games and refer to them as "we" or the players by their nicknames, or talk shit about the team you cover as if you're a fan.

Any reporter who uses the term "we" or "us" when your paycheck is not coming from the team you cover, you should be kicked in nuts/vagina really hard once.

Draft saved Draft deleted