1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering on press row?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not only that, but playoffs equal out of town road trips and mileage. Damn fools need to get their priorities straight.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why do you have to be so damn cryptic? Now I'll be puzzling over this all day.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'll have to check on that. But remember that Bus is a Baseball Hall of Famer (inducted 1992 into the writer's wing as a J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner)

4. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Riami? Wait, no ... Diami?

I've heard Indianapolis TV guys use the phrases "we" and "us" when it comes to talking about the Colts.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When you cover a shitty college basketball team, you don't openly cheer for them to lose, but let's just say you don't shed any tears when their season ends. Yeah, that's the nice way to put it.

6. badmoon

badmoon Member

The 76ers were assessed a technical foul because of something the late, great Bus Saidt yelled at an official during a game at the Spectrum. I remember it being Jake O'Donnell, which sounds about right. Billy Cunningham was the coach and asked O'Donnell how he could punish his team for something a writer did. "You gotta control those guys," he was told. "Control that guy?" Cunningham screamed. In fairness to Bus, he wasn't really an awful homer, but he had a pathological dislike and distrust of all referees, umpires, etc. A very nice man otherwise

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I believe it was the 1994 tournament, which took place shortly after the break-up of the conference was announced.

8. doctor x

doctor x Member

"Fiami" and "Molphins" are about as Southern as "Biladelphia" and "Reagles"

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But is it ok to root for the game to get the fuck over? As long as you don't care who wins?

10. Has anyone ever been in the Clemson football press box? Jesus Christ, I hope the radio call-in dudes are getting TigerTicketPoints for their efforts. It was to the point where another writer had to ask them to stop cheering.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Miami, uh, I mean, Driami prep guys were just as bad about 10 years ago. I don't know how much has changed now. But at a state basketball final they would openly argue with the refs and cheer from press row.

As far as rooting against a team, I don't necessarily do it, but if all our local teams lost in the first round -- giving me a week off -- I didn't cry myself to sleep.

One last one: If it's a 9-0 baseball game and the home team is one run from ending the game early via the mercy rule, there's a voice inside of me saying, "Just one more run and I can get home early!"

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Absolutely. I think everyone is a fan of quick games, especially on deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted