1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering on press row?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

The writers who have to worry about covering more NCAA Tournament basketball?

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

When possible, I hug the moms.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I had a realllly bad game last night.... :'(

Did it work?

4. You can almost expect that kind of behavior from radio guys.
    The are almost exclusively made up of homers. Because of that, a lot of folks in our community can't understand why we don't "root" for Hillbilly High or Redneck U.
    Our local radio guys are just that - local guys who blatantly homer for their team. They are the worst. Thankfully, they are not allowed to broadcast at the state basketball or football tournament. The WVSSAC has exclusive broadcast rights.
    I recall one state tournament, a local (radio) yocal from deep Southern WV (where the men were men and the sheep were scared) was in the interview room (wearing a Hometown High shirt) spoon feeding players softball questions ("Hey T, talk about that great game you just played" and "You were awesome! Did you expect to play like that?") for the rest of the media. He wasn't there to actually interview anyone. Just a fan riding the wave who happended to have a press pass.

Then there was the former big city sportswriter - now a state delegate - who "borrowed" a state tourney press pass badge so he could get couple of free barbecue sandwiches, some chips and drinks our of the media room. Cheap Fuck!

To be fair,
    We've had our share of homers.
    At my last stop, the SE was tossed from a game for arguing with a ref at a HS hoops game.
    At my present stop, one of our reporters got the boot after openly questioning several calls.

Now, if Y'all 'll excuse me, I've got to get my pompoms sprayed with glitter. I have a state tourney game in an two hours.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, no and yes.

You have a good heart, Cadet. You need to keep it in check in the interview room. No huggies.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sub radio for print and old for mid 30s and you could be at a Michigan hockey game...

7. A TV guy on my old beat would often show up to practices and open locker room periods wearing the hat of the NFL team we were covering. ... He would also wear the hat on the air. What a shameless shill.

8. Was his name Norman McLean, by any chance?

Also: were the sandwiches any good? I like barbecue sandwiches. You made my mouth water.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've never understood reporters (from newspaper, radio, etc.) who cheer when the team they cover loses. Even when I was covering a team, I never rooted for them to lose. In fact, it was just the opposite. It felt like the team was taking me and the readers for an exciting ride.

10. No. It was a guy "big city" West Virginia sportswriter. I hesitate to publish his name. Though, not because it would shame him. He lacks both shame and tact.

The sandwiches weren't too bad.
    Like you, I'm a sucker for a good barbecue. I particularly love Carolina barbecue - with coleslaw and hot sauce. You go north of Clarksburg W.Va and people look at you funny if ask for slaw on your barbecue.
    It's also hard to find sweet tea at a sit-down restaurant north of Clarksburg.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

These folks pay tens of thousands of dollars for these seats so you'll have to deal with it.

Biggest worry is with HD TVs and wide screens, every time you pick your nose or leer at some cheerleader everyone watching can see you now.

12. moonlight

moonlight Member

• I've had my share of parents come to me after loses in big games and question why I was not as sad as they were. Somehow, telling them that I don't care who wins or loses and that I am there to report on what happens doesn't ease their pain.
    • I used to work for a SE who got tossed from a college basketball game for arguing with an official.
    • I have an NFL beat. At a game this season, a group of traveling reporters from a southern city (it rhymes with "Fiami") openly groaned and cheered when their team (rhymes with "Molphins") either played poorly or made a play. As far as I know, no warnings were issued.

Draft saved Draft deleted