1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering on press row -- live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Dec 22, 2008.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

a long time ago, i covered a football game at a stadium that shall remain nameless (kentucky). first or second quarter, i can't remember which because it was awhile back, home-team RB breaks a long run. during the play, one of the booster types sitting behind me screams "run you little son of a bitch."
    i didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

A RB breaks a long run, couldn't be Kentucky :)

Did IJAG scream, 'fall you son of a bitch!'?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

1. Quietly walk up behind him.
    2. Grab the back of his neck with one hand and the back of his skull with the other, entertwining your fingers in his hair.
    3. WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM.
    4. He won't do it again.

:D

(I keed, of course ... )

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you haven't been paying attention

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. strunk_you

strunk_you Member

i was working a college game the other night, and the radio announcer that traveled with the road team was heckling the referees live on the air.

every call that went against the team he was covering, he stood up an shook his first.

late in the game, the refs were changing the time left on the clock for the final possession after the scorekeeper unsuccessfully tried to sneak a few seconds away from the visitor.

radio guy was arguing with the officials about how much time to put back on the clock — again, live on the air.

i'd never seen anything like this before in my life. even the pr guys for the home team were appalled.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

They weren't giving away money.
    Basketball season tickets and t-shirts.
    Of course, to get a crowd, the school doesn't charge admission, so what's the point of giving out season tickets? And the t-shirts are the crappy ones that the players and trainers don't want.
    Just silly. Sometimes I wonder why the small schools even bother.
    No one cares. The local daily didn't even bother showing up for the game.
    I think the SID there would welcome someone cheering on the press row, at least that would mean that someone was cheering.

8. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

You would've had a problem with the President of Low-Major D-I University sitting at press row at a road game against the non-conference crosstown rival then. It was the only place the home school could put him after he and his family arrived late due to weather conditions.

Press row is not as sacred as it once was. As a professional journalist, you should control yourself and act appropriately, but you cannot be concerned with the actions of others unless it directly impairs your viewing of the event.

Believe me, you could have an 80-year old "statistician" BSing a stream of Pittsburghese in your ear, spittle canvasing your cheeks, all night instead. I'll trade you.

9. highlander

highlander Member

Totally off the subject. Back in my younger days (re: early 1990s) I was covering a major-college football game. The school had very cute girls who handed out stats during the game. At halftime, one of the young writers started talking with one of the young ladies. He finally asked her if she'd like to go out sometime. She said she would. Then the writer asked about coming by to pick her up. The young said "In a car? Oh, my father doesn't let me car date yet." Turned out she was 15. We never let him live that one down. It was very understandable though, you'd figure a college would have college students working for them. I think they did. He just didn't choose wisely.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I don't know if you have seen the movie, "Layercake," but there's a scene in there that reflects what you wanted done to a "t."

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Toomuchcoffeeman is Fat Broad from the BC comic strip, and she's going after the snake.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Either that or she is a very smarmy 18-year old that figured she'd play tease with the dude. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted