1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering on press row -- live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Dec 22, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's just like giving money to those split the pots, IMO.

No harm, no foul.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's because the fucking thief officials won't call 'em both ways.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

SportsJournalists.com circa 2028: A thread titled "Guy not cheering on press row--live" and the creator wondering if he should punch him, yell the team nickname really loudly and pour beer on his head while forcing him into a team jersey.
    [/quote]

That may be more like 2013. I see that at every game I cover at the local big state U now

4. highlander

highlander Member

I know this is totally off the subject. But at some high school football press boxes I have to work in, you have never seen anything like the crowd that starts arrive midway through the second quarter, because they know that food will be served at halftime. What a roar they create and there really isn't much you can do to complain because most of them are higher ups in the school district.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

I cannot believe everyone has let such a blatant typo in the original post go this long without mocking it.

Here goes.

I like my fanboys tighter.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's only a sin if, when you chucked said winnings into the stands, you just threw them and didn't make it rain.

7. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

I actually laughed out loud at that :)

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Took the elder Princess to a road college doubleheader earlier this month. She really likes the women's team here and has latched onto one of the players. This player scored on a breakaway layup early in the game, and the Princess - standing between me and the radio guy since there wasn't a place on press row for her to sit and she didn't want to sit with the blue hairs that filled the small gym - cheered.

I said, "Um ... Princess, you cannot cheer if you stand here next to me."

She turned red, covered her mouth and apologized. I briefly explained why and she stood there the rest of the game, whispering: "Yes!" a few times.

Lesson learned for a 10-year old that many veteran sports journos haven't learned.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Please don't.

Then, we'll have to put up with the body paint.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Last season I was covering a conference basketball tournament. My seat was next to the radio crew of a school that shall remain nameless (of course, they need four seats for two people).

I leave my seat after the first game of the night quarterfinal session to go listen to the post-game press conference. I come back for the game I'm supposed to be covering, and there's some jackass sitting in my chair. He was a booster of the school whose radio crew was there, and he and two other boosters were sitting around the radio guys. Somehow they had gotten the all-access passes given out to the school's athletic department

I put my stuff down in front of him, and the guy just looked at me like I was taking a shit on the table. I looked at him and said, "That's my seat." He sits there and doesn't move. I said, "Did you hear me? That's my seat." He turns around and says, "There's plenty of seats down there," pointing down press row. I pointed up into the stands and said, "There's plenty of seats up there, too." He got pissed off, and moved a couple of seats down.

His buddy then spent the first half bitching because I made his friend move. I finally told him if he had a problem, we could take it up with the conference people at halftime. He shut up and didn't say a word the rest of the game.

The school's team lost that night, so I didn't have to deal with them the rest of the tournament.

11. King, your daughter sounds like a smart kid. Keep taking her to games.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A look at the "looser" entry in the Ultimate SportsJournalists.com Style Guide might explain why nobody mocked the spelling.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/43742/

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted