1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering on press row -- live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Look, it's winter break. Schools are just really struggling to fill the building, and will let anyone sit anywhere.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a citizen journalist.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Did reporting him actually work?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Spill your drink on him.

5. Johnny Dangerously

When bloggers and fan sites start getting more seats on press row and more mainstream outlets such as newspapers stop sending reporters to games, will SIDs care if there's a little cheering?

At football games where the SIDs still care about such things, you get the announcement that "The Football Writers Association of America reminds you this is a working press box. Cheering is not allowed" and you will be ejected, yada yada. Will there soon be a day when press row is no longer really press row, so the whole point of starting a thread like this is just another antiquated notion?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've seen plenty hangers on at college games that sit on press row. They are usually boosters or grown children of boosters.

7. Johnny Dangerously

No doubt, and in my experience this has been more of a basketball phenomenon than a football one. I just wonder if the times are gradually changing with respect to the point in my previous post.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

SportsJournalists.com circa 2028: A thread titled "Guy not cheering on press row--live" and the creator wondering if he should punch him, yell the team nickname really loudly and pour beer on his head while forcing him into a team jersey.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I covered a game this weekend, and State U. let a booster get closer than usual to the working press. He stood on his chair to get better pictures of the starting lineup. I hadn't seen anything that bad in a long time.

I found out after the game that he wasn't supposed to be there. I should have said something earlier. I was a little hungover and wanted to punch him in the face.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Jesus Christ, if they let some schmuckos sit on press row, then why can't we ask to sit on the bench and get in the huddle during a frigging timeout?

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Let me guess--you're covering a Kentucky game. If that's the case, the guy might actually be legit---yes, a homer, for sure, but he's legit.

Draft saved Draft deleted