1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering in the Clemson pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Magnum, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've covered plenty of high school games with cheering in the press box. I've covered games where the public address announcer was cheering over the mic if we want to talk about something that's just not right. Usually the press box isn't going to play a role in what games get covered....but if all things are equal and a paper can't cover every game and is trying to decide which ones to cover, sometimes whether or not you can hit deadline at a particular school comes into play. And a decent press box environment can make a difference.

2. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

I hope the level of your reporting for your articles is better than it was for that first paragraph.

And to piggyback off lcjjdnh's point, if you were considering between two games to cover and one had a press box (that meets your standards) and one had a press row, how much more likely would you be to cover the press-row game?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Completely and utterly different, but a nice twist.

One involves the evolution of approaches to journalism as readers' interests change, and debatable philosophical approaches.

One involves conditions in a workplace, designed and created for people doing work.

Please note: I said "more things" were done "just because." I didn't say I missed the days when "everything" was done just because.

You're right, lcjjdnh ... "just because" thinking has been a major reason this business has declined.

Like most everything, there are degrees, and you can't compare every single thing with every other thing.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you are a journalist covering an event, you are paid to be objective and report the news. Period. You want to cheer? Buy a ticket and sit in the stands.

5. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

This entire thread is about people working for the team, not journalists covering the team.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

You're right. I got a little carried away because I despise any cheering in a working environment and I've seen it too often for my taste. Those working for the team are SUPPOSED to have more control than to cheer. If they can't watch a game while cheering, they too should buy a ticket and sit in the stands.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They're supposed to be working, too. And as someone mentioned earlier, cheering, either by them or the people around them, can affect their ability to do their jobs, too.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Press box. It's a term you keep using, Dan. When you build one, buy one or have jurisdiction over one, allow whatever behavior you want. Just change the name, please.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Has anyone met an SID who wants cheering in the press box?

10. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

It is a misnomer, indeed. Doesn't change any practical implications of how the space is used.

11. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

I've been in press boxes where there's plenty of cheering and nobody in charge seems to mind.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted