1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering in the Clemson pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Magnum, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Situation

Situation Member

But Dan isn't advocating cheering in the press box. He's just questioning why reporters believe it is a right to have a quiet, cheerless press box when that press box is owned or rented by a school or team. The school or team has every right to set their own rules for the press box (and do), regardless of the reporter's opinion or standards for press box environment. Fortunately, most of these schools or teams provide a professional working environment within the press box. But they don't have to. For example, if Clemson disbanded from CoSida and allowed members of its stat crew to cheer, Joe Reporter has no rights to do anything about it.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And then they would not be doing one of the basic responsibilities of their job description.

I also think people are confused as to what cheering is. To me, I have no problem with a clap or two if the home team scores. Do I want to hear people bitching about the refs or yelling "go team?" No. But to me, the clapping is a level of cheering, so that is a level I have no problem.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I haven't read through this whole thread. Is cheering required in the Clemson press box?

I think most people in the business handle this pretty well. Some clowns are over the top, and some youngsters need to learn to chill.

These days, I have trouble cheering even when I go to my kids' games as a fan.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And I applaud you.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Situation can now move on to solving real problems in the business.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ace, you've hit a home run with this post.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Well, you better be sitting in the stands when you do.

Draft saved Draft deleted