1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering for the enemy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Mar 25, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Remind me, who is the child in this scenario?

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The league I played in was pretty old school. It's probably still like that.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is the best thread ever.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I so hope MTM's kid is drafted by the real Giants in seven years or so.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Rick: As someone who coaches in our local youth baseball league ... ;D ;D ;D

Almost as bad, IMO, are the parents who ride the umpire all game. As coaches, we bend over backward to not criticize the ump during the game, because if we do it, then the kids think it's OK to mouth off to the ump. The way to do it is if you have a question about a call, ask the ump between innings or after the game. And compliment them for calling a good game.

Remember that these umps are usually 15 year old kids who, just like the 9 and 10-year-old players, are learning themselves.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Even without mentioning momma, trains or getting drunk?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or prison.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You do anyway. Or you want to.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My first is due in August or September, and my plan is to raise them as a Cardinals fan as a way to rectify the mistake I made as a child: Becoming a Cubs fan.

My theory is that the father/child bonding mystique is the only thing sacred enough in baseball fandom to override the "never change the team you root for" ethic.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I was drunk when I picked up my youth-sports-parent buddy out of prison.

He got busted for bitchslappin the umpire's momma in the raaaaaaaiiiiiiiin.

And just as we rolled away from the pen in my pickup...truck....

A youth sports parent in an SUV whose vision was obscured by gigantic widow graphics displaying their kid's name, uniform number and team logo AND batting average...

Got runned over by a damned old traaaaaaaiiin....

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ah just cheer him on and avoid the hat if you can.

My oldest is on the Damn Yankees this year. As a lifelong Bosox fan, this killed me at the start. But yelling "Go Yankees" at a LL game is simply that, a LL game. You'll get over it. I still wear my Bosox gear to the games. Its a freakin' LL game.

Draft saved Draft deleted