1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering for the enemy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Mar 25, 2009.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Do you really have to buy the hat? Cheer hard for your kid and the rest of the "Giants" though.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Grow the fuck up.
    You don't need to wear a fucking hat to support your kid. Stop being a fucking douchebag Little League parent.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yes, but all the teams in that league had nicknames. All the teams I played on were just know by the sponsor's name.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

NOLU, the league I played in had nicknames for every team. I can think of only one league in my state where the team names are the league sponsors.

6. I'll get off your lawn when you stop eating up all of my Social Security.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When did youth league parents start wearing team gear? Was it around the same time they started putting those window stickers on their SUVs with the team name, kid's name and number?

Don't buy the hat. Don't buy any future team hats. You show your support by being there, not by the cap on your head.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I gotta agree with this... why on god's green earth would you wear youth league gear? Ever? Unless you're on the team.....

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Serious question: If your 11-year-old were to someday play for the San Francisco Giants, would you still refuse to buy their paraphernalia?

I doubt it. And I think you need to man up and buy a Giants hat.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When Little Man got picked by the D-Backs last year, he made me play for the D-Backs on my PS2 in MLB: The Show. This year? The Mariners. Guess who I'M playing for now in The Show?

But I do it because I love him.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

My daughters' have played for rec basketball and lacrosse teams named Duke, North Carolina, Georgetown and NC State. I'm a Terp alum. When the parents statrted cheering Go Heels! or Go Duke! I couldn't muster the words. I cheered my kids but could not utter the team names. When one played for a team named NAVY, I framed a pitcure of her in her uniform.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

One of the more loathsome developments in the sporting world. Can't tell you how many times I've pulled up on an Expedition sporting a soccer ball saying "Dakota" or a softball saying "Kaeleigh". Usually, the second one is accompanied by one of those oh-so-funny "half-softball-sticking-out-of-the-fake-broken-window" jokes.

Draft saved Draft deleted