1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Checking your manhood

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Slydell, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Look at their shoe closet to check their womanhood?
    Look at their credit card balance to check their womanhood?
    Look at their driving record to check their womanhood?

Everyone, feel free to prune the stereotype tree with me!

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Could work. It is rather cold in February in most places.
    ha!
    I cannot imagine a female coach telling me to check my "womanhood"

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I never had one tell me that. Had a guy hockey coach who tried to talk about us needing bigger balls out there. We all laughed at him.

4. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Lots of coaches take themselves way too seriously.
    The coach in question may not be one of these.
    But he drew a poor parallel, used the wrong metaphor, shouldn't have done what he did.
    He fucked up.

5. AFineLightBeer

AFineLightBeer New Member

When did coaches and players decide decency was always the best policy? I've had plenty of hockey coaches mention how we were without-manliness and just wore a cup for self-esteem issues.

And, if I remember, most high school kids just play with themselves more than babies do.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

While I think this is a tad stupid, firing the coach for this is beyond asinine.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Seriously though, it makes you wonder about the one player who objected to this. Obviously there wasn't anything perverse or unusual meant here. Was this one player a kid who had problems with the coach before, or what was the deal with it?

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would probably be that one kid. To say it is one thing, but then to make the kids do that is crossing the line. This isn't some brilliant "Hoosiers" coaching, busting out the tape measure. The kids would have received the point with words alone.

EDIT -- Just remembered a story about my high school football coach, who once at halftime told us it looked like we were pissing into the wind. We didn't actually have to do that to understand what he meant or how he felt about our play that night. We rallied to win.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

His metaphor was fine. Having teens grab their dicks as a group activity is what got him fired.

But anyway ... had a coach in junior high who walked around practice with a 2-by-4 doing random cupchecks. Seemed a bit odd at the time, and I haven't thought about that guy in a lot of years, but now it seems to me he might have enjoyed that all a bit too much ... randomly hitting 12-14 years olds in the sack. As an OL/DL, mine was always on, but I remember our skilled players on the ground quite a bit. Why do these dumbfucks always end up in schools?

Also had a wrestling coach who made us run the track naked in the dead of winter if we were late for practice. AD knew about it, principal knew about it (witnessed it at least once) and nobody ever said a word about it, which is probably because we were the only program in the school to win consistently. Needless to say, I was always on time for practice and the cheerleaders seemed to hang around our area more than they did basketball practice.

Draft saved Draft deleted