1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Check your brain at the door movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Any movie starring Jean Claude Van Damme, particularly "Kickboxer," in which he (1) laughingly chases a rabbit or some sort of small game fowl across a verdant field; (2) gets the mother of all coconuts dropped on his jubblies from about an 18-foot tree; (3) gets loaded at what appears to be a tiki hut rather than a bar; and (4) pronounces "world peace" -- "warald piss."

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Good one.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Girl Next Door.

Cheese. Cracker. :D :D :D

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

mmmm, Catherine Mary Stewart....

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow, three really great additions to this list:
    * The Last Starfighter -- Hideously bad special effects and a character role that probably was the reason Robert Preston died 3 years later.

* Gas -- Big name stars? Nope. How about the cousins and siblings of big name stars, headlined by Sterline Hayden and Donald Sutherland as Nick the Noz. Featured horribly bad voice overs, a pair of Mafia members running a pet mortuary and Howie Mandell wondering where he's going to put 10,000 rectal thermometers. Good car chase at the end, though.

* Zorro the Gay Blade -- George Harrison and Ron Liebman with over-the-top roles, including the latter talking about all the different-colored Zorro outfits. "Ah-ha, two fruits and one vegetable!"

Others I'd like to add...

* Six-Pack -- Kenny Rogers as a stock-car driver toting along half-a-dozen ragamuffins as his pit crew.

* Strange Brew -- The McKenzie brothers get a job at a beer brewing plant and drink themselves even more stupid. Featured the voice work of Mel Blanc

* The Pirate Movie -- An '80s version of the Pirates of Penzance, there were new songs on the soundtrack with a decidedly disco beat to them. And any movie featuring Kristy McNichol as the starlet and Christopher Atkins (The Blue Lagoon) as the hunk has got to be a winner. Ted Hamilton as the pirate king was pretty good, admittedly.

* Cannonball Run (but not Cannonball Run II) -- This had a good all-star cast and was actually damn funny. Just wish it'd featured more of Mel Tillis and Terry Bradshaw. "I can't see shit, can you?"

* Empire Records -- Great soundtrack and a cast featuring several before-they-were-famous actors, it had the misfortune of featuring Maxwell Caufield as one of the "biggest" stars. But like Chinese food, I was hungry for something more substantive and memorable five minutes after the credits stopped rolling.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent call on Cannonball Run. Perfect way to describe that movie.
    Speaking of Burt Reynolds as the comedy/action hero, Smokie and the Bandit belongs on this list, too.

Of course that could just be the Steelers fanboy in me loving Mean Joe Greene's cameo.

"Now that's been tried before, but your chances of success are extremely remote."

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Mentioning the Mean Joe Greene appearance, you must be talking about part 2 or 3.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Any movie involving young people and a hostile takeover by an older investor at a ski resort.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Any Nic Cage action flick...

The Rock
    Gone in 60 Seconds
    Con Air
    Face/Off
    National Treasure

I'm not sure I would put Harold and Kumar or Dude, Where's My Car or Van Wilder in this category...

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The Porky's franchise will never die, along with the king, Animal House.

All of the Bond movies, Ruthless People, and Friday.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Although it involves a smoking hot Elizabeth Shue, Leaving Las Vegas has to be mentioned as well.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

"Hooper" -- that's a great Burt Reynolds good ole boy movie. There's a scene where his friends are all racing to a bar, and doing stunts like passing six packs of beer to each other while going 75 in reverse on the highway.
    "Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion" -- It's fairly funny, but the turn off the brain portion is the fact that you have to believe that mid-90s vintage Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino would have a hard time meeting guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted