1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Check out Michael Silver's pimpin' new mug and column name!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jack_Kerouac, Sep 6, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Nice research, DD. Shows just how short a shelf life the pop-culture references have.

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

That's what we thought.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

I know I've said this a bajillion times, but pop culture references, particularly when employed as metaphors and analogies, are as hacky as the French dude in Slapshot.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I tend to agree, Jonesy, but coming from one of the best writers going today, that statement carries a lot of weight.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Even Murrow had to chat with "Lee" Liberace in order to get to McCarthy.

*Disclaimer: In no way am I comparing Silver with Murrow. After seeing those glasses, I might go for a comparison with Liberace, though. :D

6. deportes

deportes Member

michael silver is writing for the best sports magazine. and you’re scribbling for whom again?

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

So maybe we should cancel all English courses at colleges, as well? I mean, who are we to critique F. Scott Fitzgerald?

Clown.

8. deportes

deportes Member

pringle, you're the buffoon for even comparing michael silver to one of the greatest american writers of the twentieth century.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

He's writing for ESPN? I thought he was at SI?

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Yeah, that's what I said. Go away.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Hey, Mike:

Thanks for reading SportsJournalists.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/09/21/brett/2.html

And your writing at SI is as forgettable as a Best of Hanson album. It's awkward the first time you hear it and doesn't get any better with repetitions.

(See, I can use dated pop culture references, too! I even spell-checked my post! Wee!)

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wow, Mike ... Touchy, touchy!

Draft saved Draft deleted