1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheating Scandals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 22, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Watch the game, Szigmond.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

LJB -- There were a couple of bad calls --just like in every game.

But how do you blame the ref's for a loss when your quarterback throws a horrible interception with the game in the balance, Jeremy Stevens couldn't catch a cold, your all-world running back decided not to show up and your defense parted like the red sea and allowed Willie Parker to run like 80 yards for a score.

It is ridiculous.

3. Herbert Anchovy

zagoshe, impartial observers (like Parcells) said the game was horribly botched. Fans with no rooting interest said the same thing on talk radio the next day.

It's not the penalties or the yards, it's the times they came. Neither team played well, but the Steelers got a gentle blow when they needed it.

The NFL wanted the Steelers to win and they did.

4. Herbert Anchovy

And don't give me that crap about the NFL being so squeaky clean that it's not fixed.

I knew this shit was fixed when Morten Andersen shanked the chip shot field goal to get second-year Jacksonville into the playoffs.

Steeler fans still think O'Donnell was paid off. I'm not one of those people, but don't look at this through the eyes of a child. NFL games are fixed where they may be.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is like talking sports with some fuck at the local choke and puke.

Did the refs cost you the Civil War, too, General Lee?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Well, now that you mention it, if it hadn't stopped raining like fucking hell after Chancellorsville and that damned river didn't stop swelling ...

I've heard Steeler fans cry about O'Donnell. Long and hard and loud.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Some Steeeler fans blame him for the loss, but fixed, no.

Actually it was when your men shot Jackson on top of Little Sorrell and then dropped is ass down the road that cost you the war.

That and Lee had no fucking clue what he was doing when he sent Pickett's men over an open field and over a fence to an established line with a longer shelled bullet.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Hey, it worked at Normandy. Don't see no one calling Eisenhower a maroon.

Look at those three picks very carefully sometime.

The game that had me convinced the NFL was fixed (other than Andersen, who made an appearance at the Jaguars' postseason banquet that year, for fuck's sake) was when Koy Detmer or whoever it was flubbed the snap on something like an 18-yard field goal at the end of a game against Dallas the next year on MNF.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

So, when Tony Romo did the same thing in this season's playoffs, it was just so Seattle could get another shot at the Super Bowl?

10. Herbert Anchovy

No. Romo is a fuck-up.

I painstakingly broke this shit down on another site a year ago, frame by frame in some cases. I could do that again here, but zagoshe and Jack Lambert already have me pegged as a member of the tinfoil hat brigade. So why bother?

The butchers, bakers and candlestick makers who officiated that game bent the Seahawks over a sawhorse, and it's very clear if you stop waving the terrible towel long enough to inspect it.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The idea that the NFL wanted the Steelers to win is laughable -- particularly since Steelers fans were convinced, based on the way the Indy game in the conference semifinals was officiated, the NFL was rooting against them.

It is always different in the eyes of fans, who are emotionally attached to their teams.

And that being said -- although there were a few questionable calls, there is no way that game (Super Bowl XL) ranks among the ten or even 20 worst officiated games I've watched.

12. Herbert Anchovy

It's the worst officiated NFL game, start to finish, that I've watched.

The WWL polled fans the week after the game asking if poor officiating affected the outcome. The only two states where "no" prevailed were Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted