1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheating Scandals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 22, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How does Jimmy Hart and "The Hart Foundation" not make this list?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Close JR, but it's Johnson No. 1, Black Sox No. 2.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don Sutton? What the fuck?

I wouldn't even put him No. 1 on the Brewers all-time list. That honor goes to fuckhead Gary Sheffield, who in his entitled, asshole youth, admitted he threw the ball away on purpose because he was, well, a petulant baby. God how I hate him.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

But...but...but he's changed! He's a good man now! He said it!

Why, he ONLY NEARLY punched that fan in Boston two years ago! What admirable restraint! He is a saint among men!

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1. Black Sox. Not even close.
    2. Ben Johnson.
    3. 1951 NCAA point-shaving scandals.
    4. MLB/Congressional steroids investigation.
    5. Rosie Ruiz.
    6. SMU football. Death penalty. Let me repeat: death penalty.
    7. 1972 Olympic basketball.
    8. Harding/Kerrigan.
    9. 2002 Olympic figure skating.
    T-10. 2005/06 Bundesliga/Serie A match fixing.

I don't consider Maradona, Sutton/Niekro, Sosa/Belle as "scandals." Controversies, certainly. But not scandals.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I notice how boxing isn't even on the list. I'm guessing if we only knew (or cared) that something from that sports would crack that list.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I don't think the 1919 Black Sox or college point-shaving scandals belong on the "cheating list."
    I think cheating implies doing something underhanded to win rather than having the other team do something to lose.
    Anyone onboard with that interpretation?

(And FWIW Ben Johnson probably sits at No. 1 on my list. Ben begat Butch Reynolds, who begat . . . )

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

How does the point shaving at Boston College, Arizona and Northwestern, not too mention the absurd and blatant cheating done by Eddie Sutton at Kentucky not make the list?

9. 93Devil

Thank you for confusing Arizona with Arizona State. This one time I do not mind.

I love living in Virginia when I get "you went to Arizona State. They are the Wildcats, right?" Yes, I'll reply. We play the Virginia Tech Cavaliers this year.

10. zagoshe

My bad. Fixed.

And did you ever happen to see that movie about the kid who was at the center of the point shaving scandal at ASU? One of my favorite characters from that thing was the big drug dealer who shows up at his dorm room door and declares "I want in"....

11. 93Devil

I really try to block that from my mind. Just kidding. I'm usually watching Campus Man instead.

12. zagoshe

Outing alert -- 93Devil is really Benny Silman!!! ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted