1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheating Scandals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 22, 2007.

1. SI did a photographic gallery of famous cheating scandals
    Heres its list:
    14. Floyd Landis
    13. Michael Waltrip (Daytona)
    12. Diego Maradona (Hand of God goal)
    11. Danny Almonte
    10. Mike Tyson v. Holyfield (when he bit Holyfield and was DQ'd)
    9. Rosie Ruiz (1980 NYC Marathon)
    8. Sammy Sosa (corked bat)
    7. Ben Johnson
    6. Albert Belle (corked bat)
    5. 2002 Olympic Figure skating judges
    4. Joe Niekro
    3. 1919 Black Sox
    2. Tonya Harding
    1. Don Sutton

I take issue with Don Sutton. Unlike Niekro, was Sutton ever caught or associated with cheating like old Joe or even Gaylord Perry?
    When I think of guys doctoring baseballs Sutton is not a name quick off my lips.

How about the 1972 US v. Russia Olympic gold medal basketball game when the Americans were screwed over by the officials?

I also think the Manhattan College basketball point shaving scandal in the 1951 and Roy Jones Jr. getting hosed at the 1988 Olympics were also pretty big.
    Bigger than Waltrip, Tyson and Sutton anyway.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Where's Barry Bonds on there? ;)

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know where Tyson biting the ear is "cheating", it's against the rules of boxing and gross, but I wouldn't title it cheating per se. It was a madman losing control.

Rosie Ruiz would be in my top 3. That's cheating in probably its most basic form, and of course a wild story.

4. creamora

creamora Member

Bonds didn't make the list.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

WHHHHY!? WHHHHYYYYY!?!

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Where are the Steelers' tainted Super Bowl championships in the 1970s?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

How is Ben Johnson not No. 1 on this list? Olympic gold medal and world record in the 100 taken away by positive test for steroids. It isn't even close.

I also don't recall Don Sutton ever being caught doing anything.
    Does dumping games (1919 White Sox) count as cheating if you're trying to lose?

And Orville, Manhattan was one of the few city schools that wasn't heavily involved in the 1951 basketball point-shaving in NYC ... CCNY, LIU, NYU, St, John's were the main culptrits.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You'd think if Don Sutton was worse than the Black Sox or Rosie Ruiz, I'd have an idea of what they hell they are talking about.

Did he cheat on his math tests in high school?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think Sutton cheated when he got photos of several hundred baseball writers cheating on their spouses in order to gain entrance into the HOF. :)

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sutton, I believe, had a rep for cutting and scuffing balls but I don't recall him ever being caught and/or punished for it.

Does SI offer any details of these "cheating scandals" or is it just a photo ontage? Does it say what Sutton did to be No. 1?

Otherwise, this is just more stupidity from a once-great magazine.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe Sutton's hair isn't naturally curly. I could see that rising to No. 1.

12. There is no direct reason for Sutton as the No. 1 guy. The summary says pretty much what you said at the top: that Sutton had a rep for cutting and scuffing balls.

Thanks for clarifying the college point-shaving scandal.

Draft saved Draft deleted