1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheating on my barber

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I live in a small town and went to the same guy for about 3 years. My wife went to him too. Then he started giving terrible cuts to my wife, so she switched salons. Then he got angry with me about it so I quit him, too...a few months later, we ran into him at the grocery and he wanted to know where we'd been. Naturally, we went the end-this-awkward-situation-quickly route and told him, "well, our daughter's friend just started cutting hair at Salon ABC so she asked us to go there. To give her a good start." Some of it was true: We were going to Salon ABC.

Next thing you know, guess who's working at Salon ABC. Yep, Mr. Angry Bad Haircut dude. Now, my wife and I get our haircut in another town!

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I go to a real barbershop in a little village main street with my son, who as many of you know has Down Syndrome. All three barbers know us by name and treat us like gold. It's a simple little place with three barber chairs, and handful of chairs in the back along with a TV on the wall and a few newspapers and magazines. No shampoo stations, no receptionist, no product. Sometimes I'll get a haircut when I'm out of town for an extended period, like spring training, but I always feel bad about it.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I rotate between an old-school barber shop (complete with the hot foam and straight razor shave around the ears and neck) and a SuperCuts-type place near the office.

If I've got two hours to spare, I'll go to the barber shop. There are usually a couple of guys waiting and the 70-year-old barbers don't work fast - mainly because they're chatting. If I'm in a rush I go to the cookie-cutter salon, tell them to use a No. 4 guard on the signs and scissor the top and am out the door in less than 45 minutes.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Went for an aimless walk on Pico. Dying sun was beating down, felt like 95. Passed Orthodox Jews walking to temple for Shabbat.

Stopped at this guy's barber shop, just a few steps from Factor's, and decided to have some face work done ahead of my dad's birthday tomorrow.

Second time I've used this guy, Danny. Chill atmosphere inside with good '80s music and lots of art and visuals.

He's good with the clippers and a straight-edge. No need to test anyone else right now.

[​IMG]

Continued the aimlessness up Robertson and took shots of The Workmen's Circle.

maumann likes this.
  5. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

My great obit writing colleague Eldon Knoche did a sendoff years ago for a barber who had once shaved John Dillinger. His lede: "[Name Forgotten] had a long and productive career, but the most memorable moment came when he held a razor at the throat of Public Enemy No. 1."

dixiehack and Dog8Cats like this.
  6. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Salsa - Emerald Valley Kitchen, although the recent change to a different container and almost-impossible-to-open lid might end that.
    Gas - Chevron

Used to have a stylist 2 1/2 hours away, in my college town. I would make trips specifically for cuts (but never lacked for things to do while there). After a long hiatus (10 years?), after she'd moved, I went back to the shop. Recognized at least a couple of holdovers. As the young woman who cut my hair was finishing up, one of those holdovers (maybe he recognized me? maybe he owned the place by then?) interrupted the cut he was doing, completely took over my chair and provided some unfiltered feedback about how she needed to do her job. Made me pretty uncomfortable.

Once went to this guy who came recommended by a colleague. Left looking like some dull garden clippers had had a whack at my noggin. For my next hair cut, went to the same place but had an appointment with a different stylist. I walk in, the guy who did my first cut was there, and available, so my intended stylist and the guy I never wanted to see again agreed that he'd do this cut. Came out worse than the first one.

My hair sucks and it's always sucked, but I'd rather have any dental work (and I've had a ton) by an unknown provider than get my hair cut by someone I don't know and trust.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I recently tried to connect with my super cute barber on a dating app. She wasn't interested thus I will never cheat on her.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’ve been going to this hair place in my dying mall for years. It’s not usually a long wait as they have 8-10 hair cutters, then takes 15, 20 minutes tops.

For a while, there was this old-fashioned barber shop in my town, so I went there a couple of times. Took a couple of hours each as there were just the two owners doing the cutting, and three or four guys ahead of me in line. Paid an extra $10 too. They did fine with the cut, but the amount of time just wasn’t too convenient for me, so I didn’t go back. They ended up closing a couple of years ago.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

To update the original post from 2010, I’m now in an open relationship with my barber. He has closed his business but works from a little shop he built at his house. It’s about 20 minutes away and he still works from just 8-1 weekdays so he understands and doesn’t mind that I see other barbers on the side when it’s more convenient.
    I get a cut every 6 to 8 weeks and he does about half of them.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The barbershop in town has a strong Mayberry vibe. Used to be father and daughter, but daughter quit last year over his refusal to close during the worst of the epidemic, and now it feels like I'm attending a Qanon meeting. Plus, the wait time has doubled since he's the only chair.

I've decided to go the Great Clips route until I find a replacement.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. 12 year old thread revived.

OK I think I have posted about this on here. ... When the pandemic hit I decided to get a pair of clippers and try to cut my own hair. Unfortunately, several other million men had the same idea and there was a run on clippers. If you could find a pair, they had been bid up in price to a point I wouldn't buy on principle.

I got lucky after only a week of looking, someone had just put up a couple hundred of the "Remington Virtually Indestructible Barbershop Clippers," on ebay, the price not marked up nearly as much as the other options I could find, and I snagged one. Within an hour when I looked again, they were all gone.

They are a pretty cheap pair of clippers, but I have been now using those things for close to two years, every two weeks. fading up over the bald spot: the 5, 3, 2, 1 attachments. No scissors for the top, every 2 or 3 cuts I hack down the top with the 8 attachment. I was afraid to cut my own hair the first time, but I got the hang of it really quickly, and I can give myself a consistent little fade.

I look no different than I used to, and I tell everyone that I am going to retire on what I have saved on haircuts. If you ever need a pair of clippers, I don't know what a more expensive pair gives relative to what I am using b/c I have never used anything else, but I highly recommend the clippers I bought. I am surprised at how good they are and how well they have held up.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a good chance at least one or two mobsters in history have had this same view right before they died.

Draft saved Draft deleted