1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheating in college

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For those who teach college courses, I have a dilemma. On my mid-term for an intro public speaking class, there were a couple of instances were two people who sit next to each other missed the same questions. For one of the suspected groups, the pair missed the same 14 questions out of 45.

The dean said unless you catch them in the act, there's little you can do for a multiple-choice exam. I guess I have to assign seats next time and maybe have a few versions of the exam with the questions in different order.

Thoughts for those who teach?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Threaten to expel them unless they get down with you.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The thing is, do you know both cheated?

For the next test, I would let them sit where they did before, but give one of them a different exam.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hand out more than one type of test?

Just jumble the questions and have forms A, B and C.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First, if anyone is cheating, they're picking the wrong person to cheat off of. Getting 31 right out of 45 is pretty sucky.

Second, I'd just make them sit apart. You don't know if both were cheating. One might have been copying off the other, who wasn't aware of it.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I was surprised by the low scores. That's what freshman get when they pay more attention to their phones or laptops instead of the review.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Seems like many, many tests I took in college had multiple versions, just the same questions in different orders.

Some, of course, didn't. We did have one great class where every test was 100 multiple choice questions pulled at random from a catalog of questions that had existed for so long you could dig around, find four or five tests from other semesters and see at least 80 of the 100 you'd be likely to show up on your test. So, we skipped class all semester, spent a few nights before the test memorizing questions and their answers (they were all fairly uniquely worded, thus distinguishable), and all got either As or Bs.

It was no secret, of course. About 1/3 the class would be done with the whole thing before the teacher was finished showing the slides we supposedly needed to answer the first 50 questions correctly.

Ah, college.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

My old roommate used to cheat in college. New night, new girl. He also had to go to the campus clinic a lot behind his girlfriend's back because of all his cheating.

Wait, what were we talking about?

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I thought this was another Auburn thread.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

put them on double secret probation.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LMAO!

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

"The guys at the Jewish house said all our answers were wrong!"

Draft saved Draft deleted