1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cheating for an award

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by incognito, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Was just about to post something like this. Okay, fine, the contest isn't that big a deal, but there's something much larger to deal with. If the SE is that blatant about claiming someone else's work as his own, how do you know he's not doing it every day in discussions with the ME? Or claiming that you aren't doing enough work to the publisher? Or snorting cocaine and leaving the residue-laced doggy bag in your desk?

(I admit, it's a long road to the final example, but the point remains: it's not JUST about the contests.)

2. I'm with Whitlock. I don't think this is a fight worth fighting. But I also agree that this is a much deeper problem. My advice, update that resume and get out as quick as you can.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Based on the information given, however, incog doesn't know the SE is cheating. He just suspects. Assumptions can be dangerous.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I still believe to this day I worked for one of the worst sports editors to ever make it to a daily newspaper. He couldn't write. He was terrible when it came to communicating with his staff. His journalistic judgement was shaky at best. His organizational and management skills were lousy.

Worst of all, he had no respect for the business, or much of anything else. I won't get into the stories of the unprofessional crap he pulled, not to mention the personal stuff we all knew about.

But to this day one of my biggest regrets was not calling him on any of his crap. I got out before things got ugly, but there was at least one instance I still feel like I should have said something.

We're supposed to stand up for ourselves and the truth is supposed to matter to us. That's part of working in journalism, or at least it should be.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Eh. Your guy sounds par for the course to me.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

An offshoot of this happened to me many years ago, when I was working in New Mexico. I was the SE of a small daily and the ME -- who I replaced -- took several of my stories for a regional contest.

Only he didn't enter them, only the sports stories HE wrote for me on trips to Albuquerque and Lubbock, mindless stories he wrote to justify said trips. And -- adding salt into open wound at the time -- one of them somehow won.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I worked with a jackass who piled up several design awards by lifting ideas straight out of some glossy-paged design showbook. I watched him do it. Guy didn't have one original thought in his body.

As far as the subject of the thread, I wouldn't let this go unanswered. I don't care if it's a sports editor or the King of Prussia. There is some honor at stake here.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm pretty sure this has never come up, but LJ Beauregard brought it up.
    There is a possibility the Sports Editor could be the sports editor of King of Prussia, PA.
    They could be one in the same at the King of Prussia Courier.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?brd=1679

Sorry for the Random Thought.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not sure what I'm looking for, but I will say that it's more than a little disturbing that Officials: Disc-golf course was 'a mistake' is the most-read story of the week on that site.

10. Taylee

Taylee Member

It's just a contest.
    I've never hired anyone based upon a resume that lists awards. Anyone who does is a fool.
    It's just one person's opinion. I'd rather look at the work myself and make my own judgements.
    I've judged contests and seen other judge them. I take my time, usually too much, and try to make the right decisions because there are people and companies who place value (too much, in my opinion) on them. Besides, doing a thorough job was part of the responsibility.
    Saw a co-worker judge a writing contest by reading the lead, maybe going as far as the jump before quitting. Took him less than an hour to go through all the entries.
    Know of one contest that is judged by undergrads who think comparing a high school sophomore with LeBron James is cute writing.
    Am I bitter? No. Our company makes contest entries mandatory, and our dept. has done very well.
    But contests never have been addressed in any performance review, either one I've received or the ones I give.
    Don't make an issue of it. If you didn't already know, there are dishonest people out there and some of them luck into management jobs. Might be a good sign that it's time to roll.

11. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I am with Whitlock on this.

There might be a 10 percent chance that if you confront him that everything will work out and you will be happy. That means there is a 90 percent chance that it won't, which will only anger you more.

In addition, there is a reasonable chance that your boss will use the challenge to screw you whenever he gets a chance.

Remember the words of many, many SportsJournalists.com threads. . . this will not end well.

12. Incognito, will you please tell us what you did and how it turned out? Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted