1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cheating for an award

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by incognito, Jan 17, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The poster calling himself Jason Whitlock (hey, you never know who is really hitting those keys. Not sure you care, either.) raises a point worth considering. I happen to disagree with it, simply because there is a way to bring this up without it being a fight. Some of us understand how to do things tactfully. Others don't.

Just don't drop everything because he played the anonymous card again. I know who a few of the other people posting here are, and their opinions are every bit as valid.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. What happens if he submits his work for a later job and it's noticed by someone who's seen it before from his boss.
    Since the boss won an award for it and that's all the potential employer has to go by, it's going to make incognito look like HE'S taking credit for his boss's section...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But we're anonymous! We couldn't possibly be able to help this guy out!

4. there's no way to bring this up without it being a "fight." the guy is a snake and you can't believe a word he says. let it go. you can't fight the crackheads unless you're willing to get on crack. let it go.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Who cares if it's a fight. I would simply ask him about it and go from there. Even if he lies to my face, I would have felt better because I confronted him about it, because it's out in the open. That much would clear my mind.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Don't confront people. Don't be the squeaky wheel. Don't create conflict. Just continue being a sheep in life and everything will be fine.

Seriously, don't let this go. It's bullshit, and you know it's bullshit. Otherwise, you wouldn't have even brought this up. So what if it's a fight with a boss that you have a "cold" relationship with? Sounds to me that it will happen eventually. Either this or something else. So, maybe this is the last stand. Fuck it. Fight.

As Richard Pryor claimed Jim Brown said, "That's an ass whippin' I gotta take."

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

OOP - yeah, i kinda wanted to pick up a fungo and beat him on the back of the head with it when i read that as well. <fungo placed securely back in closet.>

8. Compare that above quote from Jason_Whitlock to this last sentence from a 2006 column by the Kansas City Star's Jason Whitlock, explaining why he left ESPN.

"It was just the act of a guy who values his ability to think, act and speak independently more than he does seeing his face on ESPN."

Seems like similiar situations but two different answers.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Whitlock's point about fighting battles you can't win is fine, except you can win this one. I've worked under a sports editor that was an idiot. He did something like this, except the guy that had actually designed the page didn't find out until he was at the state press association banquet looking at the submissions. That was just one of the many problems in that office while the guy worked there. Eventually the rest of us in sports had to talk to the publisher. It made for an uncomfortable month or two but eventually things got better, a lot better.

Point is, if you aren't happy working for this douche bag you don't have that much to lose unless he's going to be the only person you can use a reference for your next job.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

If you're uncomfortable confronting the guy, make a joke about it to him, see how he responds. Fuck it, I'd say something to him. It's not life or death, just mention that you noticed it on the desk. Don't make a scene or anything. But Whitlock is right, if you don't want a contentious work environment, then don't do it, because things won't be the same. Also, does he read this site? (That's one thing I always wonder about in threads like this, has anyone had a co-worker find out you have a beef with him by going on here? Seems plausible, esp. considering the NWI Times fiasco)

11. BH33

BH33 Member

I agree with Whitlock. Contests aren't that big of a deal. If a guy needs to cheat to try to win one, he's an idiot. Don't worry about it. If you want to enter the contest, do it, and submit your work, but don't worry about anyone else.

12. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

On the surface, this is about the contests. The deeper issue is with the principles behind the SE's actions.

If you know a person of authority is cheating, how do you trust them in anything else? Whether Incognito wants to or not, there will be hesitancy, a lack of respect and a lack of trust involved when dealing with the SE.

How do you do your best work in that situation?

Draft saved Draft deleted