1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cheating for an award

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by incognito, Jan 17, 2007.

1. If it were me: I'd get his attention when alone with him and gently remind him that they're your pages and you would like to enter into the contest. Don't embarass or accuse but state the facts and don't back down. Look at it this way, your relationship is already cold it won't get much worse.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A different kind of cheating, but bullshit nonetheless: A guy at my shop came over from a paper near the area and told a story about one of the photogs there who got a great sports shot, but there was no ball in the frame. So he photoshopped a ball from an earlier frame onto that one and it ran in the paper. He later won an award for it.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Not only does that dump on every ethical practice of photojournalism, it is actually fraud.
    There is a "manipulation clause" in our freelance fogo form that states our Lil sweatshop can sue you if decided your foto needed a ball.

4. dude, these are anonymous people giving you advice. leave it alone. the guy is gonna smile in your face and tell you what you wanna hear, and he'll spend the rest of his career stabbing you in the back. LET IT GO...contest junkies aren't much different from crackheads. let it go.

5. And then there are those people who stand around instead of standing for what's right because they're afraid of a little conflict. Those people are just as bad. Do what's right. Not easy.

6. contests are not worth shedding any blood over. that's what i'm trying to convey to the dude. he's fighting a battle he'll never win and he's fighting a battle that's not even worth it.... i love a good scrap. but you guys are telling this guy to go in the street and fight someone who has absolutely no intention of fighting or surrendering.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

If this doesn't cause the apocalypse -- or at least crash the board -- nothing will:

I agree 100% with Jason on this.
    Let it go.

8. Call me a militant idealist but taking credit for someone else's work is plagiarism and you shouldn't give the guy the opportunity. Aren't you just as guilty if you let it happen? Maybe. Plus, if you let him walk on you once he'll walk on you again and again. Stand up for yourself. If you got a wife and a kid, then sure proceed with caution but if not there's worse things than looking for a new job. Better than being a doormat.

9. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I'd confront him.

If he's dishonest with contest crap. I'd wonder how much other stuff is he dishonest with. Does he make up shit and publish it as fact? Are his stories just a load of plagiarism?

It'd be hard for me to work with that person knowing he was cheating about something that trivial.

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

It doesn't help anyone to let this guy get away with taking credit for work he didn't do and to allow him to take advantage of you by 1.) Not allowing/encouraging you to enter the contest, or 2.) undermining the work you did by not allowing you to get the credit for it. The contest may not be that big a deal, but the issue is bigger than the contest and you have a right to own your work. Also, if the SE is designing pages on a regular basis, I doubt he is in the position to have the power/connections to ruin the rest of your life.

11. Amen.
    There's no reason this has to be an argument, this guy just has to talk to his editor in a tactful way, give him an out and move on. Maybe it was a mistake. But we're in an integrity driven business, you have to hold others accountable as well as yourself.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm with whitlock only because as the s.e., he could make things miserable for you.

but you should also screw his girlfriend/wife/daughter and give him photos on your last day working there.

Draft saved Draft deleted