1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheap-a@@ cell phone service advice needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Mar 19, 2013.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Help.

Sprint is going to cancel me because I no longer live in their area. Since 100 percent of my minutes used falls under "roaming," even though we're talking under 400 a month, they are going to drop me.

So I need new service. I'd prefer to keep my current number. I have a cheap-ass dumb phone and am fine with that. I do like the capability of sending texts from online, though.

I have no interest in signing a new contract since the plan is to leave the country again in 2014. At that point, I will likely have to upgrade to something real, but for now, I don't want to upgrade to Smartanything. I'm paying $46 a month now.

Sprint will let me suspend my service but honestly, if they aren't willing to exempt me for this stupid rule, I'd just as soon ditch them.

Anyone have experiences with those pay-as-you-go options? Is that my best option here? Can I use my old phone/number?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought that Sprint was nationwide. I've never heard of such a thing.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you don't want to pay more than $46 a month, I think you're going to have to go with one of the pay as you go phones...

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Roaming still exists?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Get yourself a burner. They're all over the corners of West Baltimore.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You've peaked my curiosity on this so I went to Amazon and looked at no contract phones. Here is example of AT&T plan:

T&T GoPhone Service
    GoPhone logo

AT&T's pay-as-you-go GoPhone plans are wireless plans made easy, simply pay in advance for what you need. No long-term contracts, credit checks, or surprise bills--just all the benefits of wireless, with no complications. In addition, AT&T's Rollover Balance feature lets you carry over your unused account balance when you purchase refill minutes before your balance expires.

Other great GoPhone features include no long distance or roaming fees across AT&T's national service area, the ability to track usage via text messages with an updated balance after each call, and the ability to refill your minutes 24-hours a day, 7-days a week. You can also choose to add international long distance for calling to over 50 countries (including Mexico landlines and Canada) for just $10 for 250 minutes. And you can cancel any time without penalty.
    GoPhone Plan Options

$50 Monthly Unlimited Plan includes unlimited talk, text (both U.S. and internationally), and access to Internet data and web browsing (smartphone users must purchase a separate data package).
    $25 Monthly Plan includes 250 minutes of talk time, unlimited text messages, and international texting at 25¢ per message. Data and mobile web browsing is charged per use, or you can buy a package.
    $2 Unlimited Daily Talk & Text is a good plan for those who do not use their phone every day, and data packages can be added. It's charged ONLY on days when the phone is used to make or receive a voice call (including a call to voice mailbox), use IM, or send a text or picture/video/sound message. Data is charged per use, or via a package.
    Per Minute enables you to make phone calls at just 10¢ a minute--perfect for those looking to use their phone very infrequently or for emergencies. You can also send texts at 20¢ per message (25¢ per international message), or choose a monthly package. Data is charged per use, or via a package.

Smartphone users can use any of these GoPhone plans, however, a smartphone require a data/web package to use data/web services. Pay-per-use data/web is not available on smartphone devices. Data packages for all GoPhone plan options (for mobile web access for e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, and more) include the following:

500 MB for $25
    100 MB for $15
    10 MB for $5

Data packages are good for 30 days, as long as your account balance is not expired. Standard rates apply if feature package is not renewed after 30 days

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

H20 is $40 a month for unlimited calls/text or $60 if you include Internet.

http://www.h2owirelessnow.com/

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You might have to dig around to find a no-contract service provider that will let you keep your old number. I use TracFone and have few issues with it -- my main gripe being that incoming texts and calls also count against your prepaid minutes.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

TracFone still exists?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't know how the service is but MetroPCS offers monthly plans.

11. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I use Straight Talk, which is $50 a month for unlimited text, calls and data. You should be able to use it with your current phone. No contract, just month to month. It's on the AT&T network and I've had no problem with dropped calls or anything like that.

www.straighttalk.com

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I use a prepaid smart phone thru Kroger's affiliate (iwirelesshome.com). You can get a phone for $40 and a really basic plan for $10 a month ... And they'll port in your number. A bit better plan is only $25 a month. I have been very pleased.

Draft saved Draft deleted