1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chauncey Billups..Disposable Superstar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, May 18, 2009.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just read this from Tom Friend

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090511/billups

Very enjoyable retrospective on Billups' journey. Loved the story about Sam Mitchell and his tutoring of KG and Billups. I think I'd rather have Sam Mitchell coach the Warriors than Nellie right now.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

DB, qt.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/69702/

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And the original thread did not get any comments because you guys are all jerks.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Blue font, I hope?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

well, yeah. That's one theory.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry. I searched for "billups" and got just posts on the playoff thread.

7. Excellent read.

Nice job by Friend.

Rick Pitino is an ass.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A great story even if it hadn't been written, but an excellent job by Friend.

For my money, Joe Dumars has gone from one of the best GMs in the league to one of the worst. He got rid of the players who made the Pistons the Pistons. And four years ago, being the Pistons was a damn good thing.

As an aside, how many times have NBA teams made bad trades to clear cap space for free agents they never get?

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Tony, you are half right. You have to remember the Billups we are seeing now Billups playing with a chip on his shoulder.

10. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

You just read a story that suggested he works incredibly hard at his job and are now suggesting that the reason for his current success is that he's now... working hard at his job?

I think it's more likely that the pieces around him fit his current style better than those around him in Detroit. Carmelo and Nene, in particular, are the perfect supporting players for him.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Really thought it was a great story. It was interesting to get a little insight as to why he bounced around so much early in his career. But I was bothered by a couple of factual errors early in the story. The inbounds dunk play couldn't have been the state championship game in 1994 if it was played at Metro because the state finals were held at McNichols Arena back then (and the place was full because of him). He also wasn't 18 that season, he was 17. So who knows when that game happened. But good story nonetheless.

12. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

And the 'we need an inbounds play' story was a little off, timeline wise. The beat writers, who I trust more in this situation, talked about that prior to the first postseason game this year, about how Chauncey came to Karl about it. It didn't happen in his first week with the team.

Otherwise, a very good story about a kid I watched growing up, from GW to CU to Denver and back to Denver. I don't think a lot of people understand just how big of a deal he really is in Denver.

Draft saved Draft deleted