1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chattanooga's turn - again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This was sent to me yesterday. A buddy there confirmed the one in sports:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_149969.asp

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Was just about to send this through the Pipeline after reading a disheartening Facebook status and tracking it down. Best wishes to all involved. A couple fine folks and fellow SJers there. Hope they're OK.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Well....that sucks!

4. Yeah, that REALLY sucks. Darren is good people and an outstanding reporter. He should land on his feet, but it still sucks.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

According to the latest ABC reports, Chattanooga's circulation rose nearly two percent.

Wow.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, Darren. One of the good ones.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Darren, a good one. So too was Beverly Carroll on the news side -- she's been there for years and is THE institutional memory for Chattanooga. She must have rubbed Griscom wrong or something as I can't imagine she wasn't still an asset. Ditto John Coniglio, also there for years.

I wonder how much of that 2 percent increase was hundreds of papers being sent every day to Volkswagen's headquarters and the various suppliers hoping to glom on?

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

No more "Yeah-Yeah"?
    That really, truly does break my heart. Darren is a terrific writer and an even better person. I hate it for him and for Jay.
    My best wishes to Mr. Epps. I will have a beer in your honor. May even have to drive all the way to Doc's or the CBC to do it.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I'm heart-broken to hear that the bleeding continues. There are good people up there. Hang in there until you find something better.

So circulation is up, but that's not enough? In my mind, that means there's more money, too.

Talk about conflicting messages. Thanks for buying our newspaper. Here's an even worse product.

I'm sorry, but even stupid people can see through this crap anymore. Please quit milking our industry - and careers - dry!!!

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Circulation can be barely up, but if advertising revenue is significantly down, that's the larger issue. I'm not encouraging the cuts here, just saying there's more to a newspaper's viability than paying customers.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I'm well aware that this is more than just about circulation. It's just frustrating to hear that this industry continues to make cuts in the newsroom despite increasing circulation.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

This sucks. Again.

Best of luck to you, Darren.

Draft saved Draft deleted