1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chass : Soccer Boots Baseball In NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.murraychass.com/

"Readers of The New York Times sports section received a significant signal in late May, whether or not they realized it. If they were paying attention when they read the section from May 20 through May 28, they were seeing a major makeover before their very eyes."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They should make a serious run at S.L. Price to be the European-based sports staffer mentioned in that piece.

3. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Boo hoo hoo. Chass comes off as a kid whose mom bought him the wrong kind of candy.
    My shop has done the same thing (much smaller scale) with soccer coverage, and I promise it has nothing to do with a global audience. I know, I know; Soccer is America's fastest-growing sport since 1972. And yet it feels like it's actually going somewhere this time, at least to me.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Why would Price wish to do something he's already done once, for a larger platform, and take less money to do it and get less space?

5. Dick Whitman

"Serious run" means more money and more space, not less.

And SI isn't a larger platform than the New York Times, is it?

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

SI has something like 23 million readers per week.

We just learned yesterday they once paid Selena Roberts $400,000, which is obscene for such a garbled wordsmith/convoluted thinker like her. Whatever they're paying Price, it has to be more.

The Times, an institution that does not even like sports, is not going to give Price half a million bucks to cover European sports. Nor would Price do it when he's already been there, done that, written a book, uprooted the family once.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I did not think he sounded that bad as compared to some of his other rants. Almost seemed like he was hoping to get a few return gigs to the NYT by sucking up to
    the new SE.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

How dare Sam Borden and Joe Sexton not return this "blogger's" emails!!!

9. Dick Whitman

Didn't he seriously consider the Chicago Tribune's columnist gig at one point? That's why SI let him do the Europe thing.

10. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Yes, but re-read the opening chapter of his book. He says he almost did it because he dreamed of being a Royko-esq columnist with his finger on the pulse of a great American city. Then he later writes what a mistake it would have been.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That column is yet another example of the butthurt that comes from the cognitive dissonance of realizing that soccer arrived without the classic American sports fan. Men like Chass have been measuring soccer's progress among men like Chass for years, only to find out they are not as relevant as they used to be.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Are people still on this thing of taking Murray Chass' writings seriously? In addition to his age, the man has had brain cancer. There have been several instances of him flat-out misremembering conversations from just days earlier. He is not well.

Draft saved Draft deleted