1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chase Utley: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 21, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The MVPs probably set Larkin and Sandberg apart in people’s eyes.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Trammell fans will say he was the true 1987 AL MVP, although the trophy went to George Bell.

garrow likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's more like, baseball fans will say that, because it is the truth

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Was close but Bell was better. Tigers were better than the Blue Jays, but Bell was a little better than Trammell. Guess you can say the numbers are close
    enough that Trammell gets it for playing a more important position.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And in 1984, he was a distant 9th, behind 2 less deserving teammates. He would have been a fine choice.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Tigers finished two games in front of Toronto. Both hit cleanup

Trammell 151 games, 597 at bats, 109 runs, 205 hits, 34 doubles, 3 triples, 28 homers, 105 RBI, 21 steals, 60 walks, 47 strikeouts .343 /.402 /.551 /.953 at short
    Bell 156 games, 610 at bats, 111 runs, 188 hits, 32 doubles, 4 triples, 47 homers, 134 RBI, 5 steals, 39 walks, 75 strikeouts .308 / 352 / .605 / .957 in left

I left out WAR (8.2-5.0 for Trammell) because obviously it wasn't a factor in the voting at the time.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I had Bell and Trammell on my fantasy team in 1987. Also had Mike Schmidt, Eric Davis, Jack Clark, Juan Samuel and Dwight Evans. Each of them had an incredible season at the plate, and my fantasy team absolutely smoked the rest of the league. Day after day of piling up numbers that had everyone else cursing. The memories of that summer still resonate today, and I never played a baseball league again. Nothing could ever match that season.

And, yes, you don't care about my fantasy team. But it was beautiful. So beautiful. People were talking ...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Pac-Man likes this.
  8. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

My gut feeling and a quick look at the stats says No. Looking at his numbers, it looked like Don Mattingly with about five Hall of Fame seasons but not a career. However, one HOF voter used to say wait five years. If nobody does what Utley does during the next five years, it might look better.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted