1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chase Utley: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 21, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For me, Hall of Fame begins with:

"How did you regard the player during his career. ... relative to his actual peers?"

"How did others regard him at the time?"

Get past that as the starting point.

If you watched a guy play for 18 years and you never thought of him as one of the very best players for at least a decent stretch WHILE he was playing. ... with maybe a decline during which he was still an excellent player. ... you are spinning yourself in circles making a case after the fact for something you weren't actually watching when he played.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So we are not properly considering “sportsmanship, integrity, and character” in the modern era, due to ... Bill James?

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

We? I don't have a vote, do you?

4. Dick Whitman

The problem is that you are basing this on your perception, and your perception has been shown to be laughable, when it comes to baseball.

JC likes this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Howard had six great years, all in a row. But when his numbers fell ... man, they fell hard.

6. Dick Whitman

You said they should start a “Bill James Metrics Hall of Fame.”

I said the HOF has always been based on “metrics.”

You told me that’s not true: sportsmanship, integrity, character.

Is your argument that voters and the public are now giving sportsmanship, integrity, and character the short shrift in modern times? How does Bill James tie into this?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There were, like, eight near-perennial playoff teams lined up to trade for Hamels and his giant contract in 2015, seven years after his greatest accomplishment (during which, by the way, I’m sure plenty of people considered him one of the best pitchers in baseball).

He’s probably hurt a tad by the fact that the Phillies brought in three other legit aces while he was in his prime.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Don’t pay attention to him. Hamels is elite. It’s nonsense.

9. cjericho

The HOF is not just metrics. Bill James pointed out some stats that are valued shouldn't be as valued. There can be a HOF where only metrics are used for voting.

10. cjericho

Got hurt and never got back to what he was. He also stayed in Triple-A longer than he should have because they had Thome.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not dissing Cole Hamels. He was great in Phils (second?) world series win. And I'd have taken Cole Hamels on my team in a second (same way I took Andy Pettitte for my actual favorite team when they were winning, and would never argue that he was a Hall of Famer).

But there was a reason Hamels was never in a serious Cy Young conversation. Or that most people never regarded Cole Hamels the way they did Justin Verlander or Clayton Kershaw. You can rattle off starters who were better regarded at the various stages of his career, going right through the Roy Halladays, CC Sabathias, etc. I'd argue Hamels was a half notch to a notch below the actual best starters throughout the best years of his career.

Aside from that, I think we're agreeing that he's not going to be a Hall of Famer, although that really isn't a stretch of conversation.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m only taking exception to your claim that teams would’ve wanted 5-10 other starters before Hamels at any given time. And, your claim that Howard was once considered “elite” and Hamels never was.

I agree he’s not a HOFer, but both of those claims are wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted