1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chase Utley: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 21, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At some point, decades from now, people who make HOF arguments based on whether or not they personally “think of” someone as a HOFer or “elite” will die off. This will be sad for them and their families, but good for baseball and, also, debate.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So did Brady Anderson.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Bill James should just start a metric HOF.

4. Dick Whitman

Evidence-based arguments are superior to what someone’s “gut” indicates. This is not less try because it’s baseball.

5. Dick Whitman

Besides, there already is a “Metric Hall of Fame.” It is called, simply, “Hall of Fame.” All James did was help people understand they were using the wrong metrics.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ryan Howard was not a one-year anomaly (steroid comparisons aside) early in his career (a la Brady Anderson's mega year).

Ryan Howard was not Brady Anderson. The way Howard came out of the gate to start career, he played at a Hall of Fame type of level for at least 4 or 5 years.

You'd think from the responses, I actually suggested that I think Ryan Howard is a Hall of Famer. Or that I was suggesting anthing more than what I actually said. I suggested he was at an elite level for several years (and that Cole Hamels was not). . ... and the attempted distortions of that statement start flying. Yeah, he was Brady Anderson. :rolleyes:

7. cjericho

Yes, it shouldn't be on gut instinct, but it's not solely on numbers either.

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

8. cjericho

No it isn't.

9. Dick Whitman

If only there was some way by which a player’s “playing ability” might manifest itself over the course of thousands of plate appearances ...

10. cjericho

There is. That's not the only qualification listed.

11. Dick Whitman

What point are you trying to make?

12. cjericho

It's not just purely metrics. You can read that in the election rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted