1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chase Utley: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 21, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hah. Typo. He slugged .418

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ah.

Utley is the closest then, followed by Hamels, followed by Rollins.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's not getting into the Hall of Fame (neither are Rollins or Hamels), but equally as interesting to me as Rollins would be Ryan Howard. They both had flashes or brilliance, were definitely in the conversation of "best players in the game" for a period of time during their careers. But for me, neither of them kept at a level close to elite consistently for a long enough period of time to get over that hump. But I'd go Howard as the closest (putting aside the steroid rumors, because there wasn't enough to put the taint of "got ya" on him). Early in his career, he had a 4 or 5 year period that was pretty damned good.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Was he stoned there? Smoke up, losers!

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do some of you not look at positions when these discussions come up?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Hamels was “elite” for way longer than Howard was.

7. Dick Whitman

Cole Hamels: 53.9 WAR, 124 ERA+, 371 GS
    Jack Morris: 43.9 WAR, 105 ERA+, 527 GS

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Dickie I pointed this out before, but everyone didn't get angry. If you go back on that thread, Manky had a couple reasonable replies, basically saying if
    Beltran had a few more good seasons he could be in.

9. Dick Whitman

Eventually.

But the first two responses were:

"Stop."

and

"Christ."

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Chris Carpenter, though.

11. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

No. He had 5 very good years, but so did Carlos Baerga, and he's nowhere near a Hall of Famer.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I never thought of Cole Hamels as an elite pitcher. I'd hazard that most people outside of Philly (and maybe Texas later) would have rolled off at least 5 to 10 starters at any given time that they would have taken over Cole Hamels -- at the time (relative to other starters / his peers).

Ryan Howard was in that kind of conversation (elite, best player, etc.) early in his career. Didn't keep it up long enough to be in a serious Hall of Fame conversation, but he reached a level as a player for a brief period that Cole Hamels never did.

Draft saved Draft deleted