1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chase Daniel's bowl performance fishy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fed Up Fred, Dec 30, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those Big 12 spread offenses look good all year against Big 12 defenses. Northwestern played as good a game as they could, and their defense did a good job of throwing off Daniel and that spread. There was nothing more to it than that. Daniel is what he is. He looks better than he is because of the system he plays in and the fact that no one plays much defense in that conference. Make him line up behind center against a fast, good defense designed to confuse him, and he is going to be a lamb waiting to get slaughtered. Also, at his height, he won't go very far as a pro. He'll get a small sniff, but he'll have to show a lot quickly or his name will be a memory in a year or two.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Couldn't you have said the same thing about Drew Brees in the Big 10 in 2000?

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Daniel was fighting a cold (looked really pale if you watched) and yes, can also play like crap against the better teams. Either way, I don't think it's got anything to do with throwing a game or being against a non-Big 12 defense. See also: Okie State, Texas and Oklahoma for reference.

4. The Big Ragu

No. Brees played a pro-style offense at Purdue. And his skill set was more highly regarded than Chase Daniel's. If Brees was 6'4" instead of 6', he would have been a no-brainer first round pick. He dropped to the second round because of his size, and honestly there were enough doubts about his height that if he hadn't gotten picked there, he might have dropped pretty far down. Teams like prototypes.

By anecdotal accounts I have heard, Daniel isn't even as big as Brees. They list him at 6', but I'll wait to see what he really measures.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think the Big 12 offensive powers would do the same thing against teams in any other conference. Defensive coordinators will learn in a year or two how to slow the spread, it's just that things are in an evolutionary phase in which the offense is ahead of the defense, just as back in the 1970s, the 3-4 was stopping offenses for a couple of years before offenses learned how to counter.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think if nothing else, Daniel knew this was his NFL audition. He didn't throw it, he just had a shitty game.

Do the Argos need a quarterback?

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Drew Brees played in a spread offense. It wasn't pro-style the way that Matt Stafford plays in a pro-style offense. I don't think Chase Daniel is another Drew Brees. I would be much more likely to bet that Chase Daniel isn't in the NFL in 5 years than I am that he will be a starting QB. But a lot of the criticisms are the same ones Brees had coming out of college.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Umm, No. Brees played in an offense every bit as spread as Mizzou's while at Purdue. Joe Tiller's Purdue teams were at the forefront of the spread offense craze, one of the few schools already running it throughout the late 90s.

10. The Big Ragu

I'm not sure about that, Dooley. The spread is relatively easy to execute and can cover up major flaws (such as a weak offensive line, which is what a lot of second-tier schools can't recruit). The spread will always be able to feast on weak defenses. And there are just too many weak defenses in college football, so you can buy yourself a handful of wins by running it, even if you are otherwise a mediocre team. It's not an Xs and Os match-up problem. It's that most schools don't have the athletes to cover the whole field when you spread things and a good pass rush is meaningless against the gimmicks and the angle blocking. Everyone has caught up to the spread. The good teams just line up and beat the inferior teams running it. The crummy defensive teams can't stop it because they don't have the players, not because they aren't adjusting.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A crummy defensive team won't stop 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust either. Again, the spread is not the great unstoppable offense. An aggressive pass rush and aggressively taking on the receivers tight has had some success. A couple more adjustments are needed by defenses, but it will happen, then the next big offensive innovation will come.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Boy, I'm glad somebody else gives good scold when warranted. 8)

Frankly, if I'm looking for something like that, a performance like Daniel's last night would start me looking harder.

I'm not sayin' ... but I guess I'll go find a fan message board now. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted