1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chase Daniel for the Heisman, anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Nov 14, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

From The Kansas City Star:

MU notebook: Daniel hears from Heisman

QB Daniel hears from Heisman

Chase Daniel has received a letter from the Heisman Trust indicating he could be invited to New York for the Heisman Trophy announcement. Finalists for that honor will be announced Dec. 5.

Anyone think he has a legitimate shot?

From the type of numbers he is putting up, I would match him with anyone. But his name isn't out there like Tebow and Dixon.

And remember -- Mizzou's only loss was to the No. 3 team in the nation. LSU and Oregon can't say that.

That said, anyone think the winner of the Mizzou-KU game at Arrowhead should play for the National Title? Or is it too early to tell?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Daniel is a legit candidate. But I think the more likely Mizzou winner is Maclin a couple years from now. As for the other question: the winner of that game still has to play in the Big 12 title game. The winner of that game (Oklahoma vs. Mizzou or KU) almost surely will get a title game spot.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

True, that. Assuming that the winner of that game also wins the Big 12 title, of course.

And that Mizzou loss to No. 3 OU was on the road, BTW. I don't think the Sooners want to take on Mizzou at Columbia.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The winner of the KU-MU game at Arrowhead will have to play for the Big 12 title first. And that Arrowhead game will be a $14 million game, since the loser of the Big 12 title game will likely still get a BCS bid considering that Notre Dame is far from BCS-worthy, Hawaii will likely lose to Boise State, and the Big Ten and Big East are pretty much out of the discussion for taking more than one of the 10 slots.

I don't want to see Oregon get leapfrogged for not playing a conference title game, but an undefeated Kansas would have to get a spot in the national title game. And Oklahoma or Missouri would leapfrog the Ducks too, since the strength of schedule will take a hit with games against Arizona and Oregon State.

Chase Daniel has put up some excellent numbers and done a great job utilizing a great set of playmakes in Chase Coffman, Martin (Chase) Rucker, Tony (Chase) Temple and Jeremy (Chase) Maclin. And the offense has featured a lot fewer cute, BS tactics as the season has gone on. He should be on the short list for the Heisman at this point, absolutely.

Ahead of Tebow and behind Dixon, who I feel has less to work with than Daniel.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I've always thought the Heisman shouldn't simply go to the best player on the best team, but having said that, I'm surprised Tebow is being touted so much, considering Florida's record and rank. Next year is probably his year.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oregon wins out, they do not get passed.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My guess is, LSU or Oregon would have to lose to not play for the championship at this point, even with a shift in the strength of schedule for Oregon. The polls are now 2/3 of the BCS formula, I believe. That should help either team avoid being leapfrogged, unless they stink it up in their remaining games.

As for KU-Mizzou, it's hard to argue that KU should be denied a shot at the title if they go undefeated... but I think LSU and Oregon are better, which ultimately is how it's decided. It's a crappy system.

If Oregon gets to the title game I think Dennis Dixon has to win the Heisman. He's been nothing short of spectacular this season. My fanboy leanings aside, he's the reason Oregon's in the title hunt.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, but you don't think the pressure's going to be brought to bear on the poll voters, especially if Kansas stays unbeaten? I think your logic assumes that the polls won't change, and I think that's a dangerous assumption to make.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Dixon gets his shot to win the Heisman this Thursday. On ESPN's Heisman watch, 14 of their 15 people are touting him number one. Couple that existing hype with the push he'll get if he does anything of note against Arizona on their network ("Heisman frontrunner" Matt Ryan ring a bell, anyone?) Thursday night and it will be impossible for anyone to catch him.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Except the Ducks' numbers won't improve much, now that they're to a weak stretch in the schedule, while KU could move up a ton with two possible top-10 victories. Heck, the Sooners and Mizzou could each post another top-10 victory, which Oregon can't. A lot will happen between now and then.

Re: Chase Daniel for Heisman, I understand the argument, but there's a counter to that: Todd Reesing.

Daniel -- 154.7 rating, 281 for 405 (69.4 percent), 3,306 yards, 26 TDs, 9 INTs
    Reesing -- 151.8 rating, 207 for 334 (62 percent), 2,647 yards, 26 TDs, 4 INTs (and his past 139 attempts without one)

Yes, I'm a fanboy looser here, but it would hard to argue Daniel for Heisman if Reesing outplays him a week from Saturday and takes a 12-0 Kansas team into the Big 12 title game. Which I hope to see happen, obviously.

11. joe

joe Active Member

I'd rather see a BCS game victory than a Heisman for Daniel. Especially because he'll go into next season on the short list anyway.

And I agree about Maclin being a candidate in a year or two. The dude is a spectacular athlete, almost always the best on the field -- and that's saying something with all the athletes Mizzou can throw at an opponent this season.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If Todd Reesing (huh, huh, Todd is cool) outplays Daniel, and Kansas wins, he will leap into serious Heisman consideration. Everyone knew Chase Daniel before the season, but Reesing was/is an unknown to everyone outside Kansas.

As for undefeated Kansas playing for the title, they will leapfrog Oregon if they win out. But if Kansas wouldn't play in the BCS final, and would win the Fiesta Bowl, I think the AP voters would vault Kansas to No. 1 there.

Draft saved Draft deleted