1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charter to buy Time Warner Cable

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, May 26, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Based on where I live, Google Fiber will probably be here in 2025.

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Basic Internet is free after $300 installation fee ($25/month for a year).

Gigabit internet is $70/month. Install fee waived, or pro-rated if cancelled within year.

Internet + TV is $130/month with fee waived. That includes DVR, smart boxes, terabyte of storage, etc.

Hello, Kansas City – Google Fiber

3. Donny in his element

Beyond KC, Austin, Provo, next up are Atlanta, Charlotte, the Triangle, Nashville, SLC.

More to come, though.
    Google Fiber

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

U-verse, with 200 channel package plus basic interwebs is around $125.

But that doesn't include what they charge for HBO, DVR, etc. I'd be curious to know how Google Fiber charges for the extras but it doesn't matter as my town isn't anywhere close to getting it added as an option.

The same people who rub their hands in glee that cable companies and their bundles might be going away seem to be the same the tech evangelists who root for the demise of newspapers and magazines.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've heard it's different in certain areas, but U-verse where I live (medium-sized city) charges a couple hundred to come out and install everything, something Dish and DirecTV have done (at least for us) for free.

Google Fiber has some crazy DVR that holds a couple terrabytes of data. I'm not sure how much my Dish DVR holds, but I'm fairly certain it's nothing close to that.

6. Donny in his element

Got HBO and Showtime packages for $15 total w/ Google Fiber. No HBO Go (or AMC) on Google yet.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Agrarian yeoman farmers only need TrumpTV.

Draft saved Draft deleted