1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

For some sad, deranged reason, I recall a "Love Boat" episode in which Charo's character was slated to become a U.S. citizen but she got all nervous about the prospect of taking the test. Naturally, she took the test as part of her act, singing the answers to the questions. The citizenship judge was either played by Esther Rolle (Florida from "Good Times") or Isabel Sanford (Weezy from "The Jeffersons"), I can't remember which. God, now I want to swallow some strychnine.

But before I do, I have to note that Xavier Cugat was one of the most influential Latin musicians who ever lived and deserves credit for being more than just Charo's husband and a Big Band holdover. I was always fascinated by the fact that he was born on January 1, 1900.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Because, damnit, Ruth Buzzi doesn't play the guitar and can't speak Spanish. What's the matter with you anyway, 21? :)

I also read that Charo went to court and managed to get her birth certificate changed so that she was about 10 years younger.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Then why isn't Pia Zadora still working?

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

apparently because she doesn't have to....

thanx to wikipedia...

Zadora now lives with her children (from two failed marriages) in wealthy retirement, thanks to ex-husband Meshulam Riklis. Zadora gained notoriety when she and Riklis bought the Beverly Hills landmark mansion Pickfair in January of 1988 and later demolished it. The mansion, former home of early movie stars Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford, was one of Beverly Hills' most famous privately owned properties.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Wasn't Xavier Cugat the guy who gave Desi Arnaz his start/big break? I seem to recall that Desi always considered Cugat his mentor.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

This thread reminds me of a thought I always had... People who are celebrities for no real reason and no overwhelming talent.

Number 1 on the list was Zsa Zsa Gabor. Other than getting married, why was she a celebrity? What did she appear on the Tonight Show.

Charo also has to be pretty high up there. I mean, she sang, she played the guitar, but she seemed no more than moderately talented.

I guess the first guy I thought of was Bob Uecker. I mean, he was a marginal baseball player and he was an announcer, but how did that lift him onto movies and television. I mean, he was playing Bob Uecker. I'd appreciate if somebody could explain this to me.

Another guy is Alan Keyes. His politics aside, he runs for President with little more than a joke campaign. He loses for Senate in Maryland, and then Illiinois Republicans decide they need him to run and be a sacraficial lamb. That almost out does Zsa Zsa.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Kathie Lee Gifford's gotta be on this list.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Uecker's not just an announcer ... he's one of the BEST announcers. He's talented, if for nothing else than that. Still baffled how he got a sitcom.

As for Charo, as long as she doesn't mess with my red dots, she's OK with me. Nobody messes with my red dots.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

This thread cannot be allowed to go down this quickly.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think Tattoo is hiding in her twat.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It would have been easier if they had gotten Arte Johnson and Alan Sues to ring that damn bell for the commercial.

Just saw the new GEICO with Peter Graves. WTF was that? I expected "Jimmy, have you ever been to a Turkish prison" line.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Like Hitman Fucking Hearns.

Draft saved Draft deleted