1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 11, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Or maybe she had him stuffed...moves him around the condo depending on the weather.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've posted about this before. But Fantasy Island traumatized my childhood. My mom and my sisters would always get their way and we'd watch Love Boat at 8 on Saturday. I can't remember what was on opposite Love Boat, but I remember that I always wanted to watch it. I never got my way (story of my life). So we'd watch Love Boat and then then they'd clear out and I'd be left with the TV for myself. Fantasy Island would come on immediately after. And that show scared the snot out of me. There'd always be the guy whose fantasy it was to be reunited with his long lost love. Those were OK. But then there'd be the woman walking off the plane, whose fantasy was going to get screwed up by a guy with an axe who wanted to kill her or a freaky-looking voodoo priest or something like that. Mr. Roark would always signal that her's was going to be the fantasy that made me shit my pants by saying something to Tattoo like, "What she doesn't realize is..." They might even cue the ominous music right away so there was no doubt. I'd have nightmares because of that show. Hell, I still have nightmares with Herve Villechaize in them.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Kinda like having a timer that turns on different lights in the house when you're out of town.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Or a real-life Weekend At Bernie's.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm glad you took the advice of the Geico caveman to do a little research.

[​IMG]

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

To quote Cheech Marin, Ragu, "That's some heavy shit, man."

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

All due respect, Huntsie, but that's not at all true.

As has been pointed out, she was an accomplished guitarist, dancer and singer. In the Sixties, she was married to a very popular Latin band leader named Xavier Cugat; and while Cugat was much older, a holdover from the Big Band era, they were both staple acts on the television variety shows of that age. In addition to being a bombshell, she was also a competent comic and storyteller and made scores of appearances on the Tonight Show.

By the time you encounter her, let's say in the days of Love Boat, she's become a caricature of herself, knowingly ironic before the Age of Irony arrives. Then a caricature of a caricature on Hollywood Squares, circa the late 80's.

That she's made a living in show business for nearly half a century is worth noting.

Only Paris Hilton is Paris Hilton, famous for nothing in an age when fame itself means nothing.

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Thank you. Charo was funny, energetic and far from a talentless nobody.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

What if the Love Boat or Fantasy Island returned to TV with today's celebrities?

I bet this would be where reality TV stars flock.

Charo could do this because of her experience and link to the old Love Boat shows and because she was on Surreal Life.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

In terms of the new Geico commercials, I prefer the Burt Bacharach one instead of the Charo one.\

I never thought I'd see Burt do a Tom Waits impression, but he pulls it off. Even in a tuxedo.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Do you think when Geico calls Charo's agent, the agent tries to negotiate? 'Hmm, well, we're flattered of course, but she's very busy, we're going to have to look at the big picture here, she's really very selective about her endorsements...'

Or is it more like, 'Babe, talked to Geico, they can't offer a lot....we're looking at a bottle of Captain Morgan and a $50 Macy's gift certificate....sounds solid to me, okay? Could be the start of something big, I've got some plans....'

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Charo was the Pia Zadora of her generation.

Draft saved Draft deleted