1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 11, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't understand.

Why is this woman on my TV every five minutes, doing this Geico commercial??  Ozzie Guillen in a red dress!  Does anyone under 30 even know who Charo is? She has to be at least 70, right?

What kind of person was sitting there writing Geico commercials, and suddenly leapt up screaming, 'CHARO! WE MUST GET CHARO!!'  Why not Ruth Buzzi?

[​IMG]

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a good question. What was Charo ever famous for? The only thing I remember about her were the guest appearances on the Love Boat. (I was the youngest growing up in a house full of women. I never got the remote.)

Edit: I just thought about this. I don't think we had a remote. You had to get up and change the channel by hand.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I think the answer is fairly obvious 21.

They're behind that guitar.

She's in her 60s. She had her birthdate legally changed, so that she would have married her first husband at something like 8 or 9 and given birth to a son at 11 or 12.

She defines camp. Talented? No.

But she doesn't take herself too seriously.

And while there's no doubt she's had some, uh, work done, she's kept herself in great shape.

Still, Raquel Welch is the queen of the 60-plus crowd.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Coochie, coochie, coo!!!!!!!!!!

Where's Jo-Anne Worley these days?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Okay, don't take this the wrong way...but does it concern you that you know so much about Charo?

Do you think that's her real hair?

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I definitely think the cavemen should be ditched and all GEICO commercials should be required to feature ex Love Boat and Fantasy Island guest stars.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You do know that there are at least a dozen guys here, who would hit it, right?

Other interesting facts I just found about her: 1) She is fluent in Japanese. 2) She was the winner of 'Guitar magazine''s Readers Poll as Best Flamenco Guitarist two years in a row.

8. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

She was the Paris Hilton of her generation. Famous for absolutely nothing. She was a regular on Hollywood Squares.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just sayin.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I hear ya, 21.

Hey I think she's got "assets," even if, well, that's where the plastic surgeon came in.

I say if she can carve out a little niche, doin' that 'coochie, coochie' thing and a commercial here and there, more power to her.

And like Daddy said, the cavemen commercial has run its course.

Go for it Charo.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It's good that she didn't let herself go after Cugat died.

He did die, didn't he?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think he's sharing a cryogenic dunk tank with Walt Disney and Ted Williams' severed head.

Draft saved Draft deleted