1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlotte offers voluntary buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

The Observer's publisher says this does not include any plans for involuntary separations this year. Most of the newsroom is covered under this voluntary plan.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yeah it doesn't include any involuntary seperations until not enough people take the buyout to meet their quota. Then it's random execution time. Voluntary buyouts are just the calm before the storm.
  3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Voluntary buyouts give some people a chance to fall on grenades for the platoon, unless management doesn't accept their offers.

Voluntary buyouts also give some people who expect to get whacked a sense that they have a teensy more control over their career arcs.

Voluntary buyouts really aren't voluntary, though, given the numbers and pace of jobs shed. What's voluntary today quickly can become involuntary tomorrow. Just knowing that can make some people so anxious and unsettled that they raise their hands and exit, but they were basically driven to it by the climate of that newsroom and this industry.

Of those who shut up and stay, I wonder what the breakdown would be between those who are clinging to the work they love and those who are clinging to their paychecks?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but newsrooms used to thrive on people who loved their work, loved their craft, loved their colleagues, even loved their editors and publishers. Now that so many of us see this is merely a paycheck, and a tenuous one at that, while formulating an exit strategy, how much of the intangible stuff have newsrooms lost?
  4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd go along with all of that except the random part. These things have to be planned very carefully so as not to get sued. I'm sure somebody in Charlotte called Julia Wallace for the Nuke Your Newsroom Handbook, and they're following it to the letter. Thing is, outside of the four counties the AJC actually still covers, reader confidence is gone. The economy will recover, but those readers aren't coming back. Atlanta is the cautionary whale. Charlotte should tread lightly here.
  5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

A friend of mine sold adds for the Observer and he's been gone over a year.
    There have been cutdowns and cutouts throughout the operation there.
  6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think you offer a very valid point.
Draft saved Draft deleted