1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Better let those gentlemen dance with your dates

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not if you stand up and yell, "OTIS, MY MAN!!" You'll be golden.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Stay away from kilns. They're deadly.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well then where are your suggestions Sam? I'm with Hondo although calling it god foresaken is a little to far.

Going to Charlotte is about as exciting as going to buy socks. There is nothing there except resturant chains and a few strip clubs.

It's also spread out so if you are drinking and driving you can end up like Kerry Collins.

The fun to be had is north of Charlotte towards Lake Norman where it's still a bit "red" in some parts.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Well.....as many "Charlottans?"....."Charlotites?".......frequent this site, me thinks Hondo may feel the wrath.

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I stayed downtown two summers ago for a concert, and was impressed with the nightlife (albeit at times a tiny by frightened because there did seem to be a heavy number of shady folks hanging out), and ate at a fantastic place across the street from my hotel.

Someone would probably have to help me, but it was college themed. ... Is it the Varsity? Either way, it was fantastic.

And I don't remember seeing one chain restaurant downtown. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Douglas Airport, meanwhile, fucking sucks.

7. da el g

da el g Member

soul food: Merts on College Street

drinks/jazz/upscale dining: Blue on College Street

hot spot: Cans on Trade Street

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm not a fan of that Westin, but there are a couple of decent bars a short walk from it.
    Honestly, though, of the 6 or 7 times I've had to go to Charlotte for more than a few hours, I've ended up sick all but once. Me and Charlotte's food just don't mix.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bring it on. They ain't gettin' no cherry.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Boom, you pretty much nailed it in the first graf. To be fair, Charlotte isn't the rockin' center of the world - Raleigh beats it in that department going away - but what is with calling it "God-forsaken"?

No, I'm not the least bit religious. Just say that the great places are few and far between, but they're there. Try a couple of places in NoDa, Charlotte's art district, and there are a couple of other decent places near BoA Stadium and the Coliseum, where Charlotte's major professional sports teams play.

Since Brooklyn Bridge is heading there for the bowl game (go Wake Forest), he should be able to find some places to hang out once you get through a few parking lots and are in downtown Charlotte.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Ric Flair.
    Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Charlotte, North Carolina.....My Town!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted