1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlotte cuts 26, 4 in newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsGuyBCK, May 9, 2011.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/09/2284318/charlotte-observer-to-cut-26-employees.html

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A continuing pattern at McClatchy papers nationwide.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... meaning the Darin Gantt transaction of being shipped off the Carolina Panthers beat back to Rock Hill to work Winthrop athletics was a mere prelude.

This used to be a great publication. Now, thanks to McClatchy's mishandling of finances/greed (take your pick), its quality has suffered.

Best to all affected.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many great publications are left?

Are there 10 left? I'll bet there were 40-50 five years ago.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

My condolences to those who lost jobs. I do wonder how many people they have in their newsroom. It seemed like they brought a whole regiment to the NCPA awards function in Chapel Hill in February.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

The headline made me ill.

Physically.

At least this shop acknowledges they're doing this, to satisfy the greed and incompetence of those who continue to siphon the lifeblood of a fine newspaper, one in the chain I'll be with another, oh, nine or 10 days.

Can't remember which. It's not quite like getting to "single digits" in the rundown to vaca.

I know some folks at the Observer and obviously hope they're not affected, but that just means it's somebody else, being drawn into a conference room, listening to the suits tell you one of you's got to go, so if you step up now, you can beat the others to the cash. (Just consult with your tax guy because it comes in one lump sum, and Uncle Sammy's ready join in on the fun, at least until NEXT tax season, which is so far off ..... it just spins your mind in knots.)

By the same token, Charlotte's acknowledging what they're doing. In their own newspaper. Not everybody is followin' suit, you know what I'm sayin', homeslice?

I figured you did.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My old paper refused to acknowledge layoffs until the publisher wrote a column. Her lame excuse was that it was a "business decision" that didn't impact our ability to cover the communities. What hypocrisy, what bullshit.

Good luck to those at the Observer.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Boy, but people still crow about their Pulitzers and APSE awards. Shrinking pool, dwindling impact. Good stories are good stories, but get the f**k over yourselves.

About five years ago was when it became embarrassing to tell people I worked for a newspaper. Sounds so musty and yellowed.

9. Funny, when I say it, everyone I know gets jealous. Nobody would ever allow me be embarrassed to say I work for a newspaper.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

LTL doesn't see what the big deal is.

But seriously. I don't know if this paper used to be a Knight Ridder property, but KR used to put out great news product, and I was sad the day they sold to McClatchy.

11. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Has anyone heard if Columbia's getting hit? I'm hoping not, because I have friends there, but this pattern isn't encouraging.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Raleigh and Charlotte have already been hit. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it hit Columbia. Might not be the hit in production in Columbia, though, as Charlotte's pre-run is now coming from Columbia.

Draft saved Draft deleted