1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlotte Bound

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No, John Calipari is a slimeball, not a pig.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow...

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am in Charlotte right now. All anyone from here talks about is going to chain places. I can eat at Outback anywhere. Thanks, though.

I am definitely not a fan of this city. A lot of it is very dumpy and the growth has happened without a rhyme or reason. It looks like a 6-year-old drew houses and shopping centers on his daddy's blueprints.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

App, that's a bit harsh, though the part about the growth is exactly right.
    But you're going to find locals who flock to chains everywhere ... in the northeastern suburban area where I live now, one of the best restaurants I've ever been to, a mediterranean-style seafood place, sits across the highway from a Cheesecake Factory. The seafood place does a middling business. People wait for an hour for a table at the Cheesecake Factory.
    Charlotte has decent places, and if people are more fired up about Outback, well, that just leaves more room for you at the good places.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

UPDATE: Back from Charlotte and boy are my arms tired

Good news, at least for Little Man. I returned from Charlotte on Wednesday night very late and am back at work today. It's good to be home.

The trip was very productive and successful, and my class went wonderfully well. I also made several new friends from our office there and even got to meet a couple of SportsJournalists.comers, who were fantastic.

But there were several bumps along the way. Four hours before I was supposed to get on the plane to fly from Houston to Charlotte, I cut my left hand (my writing hand!) pretty badly cleaning a glass (who wants to come home to dirty dishes?). I had to have seven stitches for the two-inch cut but made it to the airport with time to spare.

My sister, who fed my cats while I was gone, surprised me with news that one of my cats had two kittens, probably the day I left (surprise! didn't even know she was preggers). One of them, sadly, died the night I returned. But the morning after I got back, I was surprised by the fact that my other cat had kittens, too! Now all three kittens and both mommas are doing wonderfully, Little Man is thrilled to have me home and my house is still standing.

Can't ask for more than that.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Damn, am I glad you are back! I missed you.

And if you ever pull that kind of shit again when you are gone (or before you leave) I will kick your ass. And I'm older than you, so we all know that I would win. (Not that you could help what happened while you were gone. I'm just saying....)

I'm truly glad you're back, though. :)

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Just got back from Charlotte and, can't believe I am writing this, I had a meal that is on a very short list of the best I have ever had anywhere.

Place is called Zebra.

Vase Salad: Vase of Almond and Sesame, Baby Lettuces, Enoki Mushrooms, Citrus Segments, Raspberries, Honey Dijon and Raspberry Dressing
    Jumbo Lump Crab Cake: Fresh Lump Crab Meat in Scallop Mousseline with Aromatics, served with Pommery Mustard Chive Beurre Blanc and Toasted Shallot Lavosh
    Seared Foie Gras: Hudson Valley Foie Gras with Parisianne Apples, Black Oregon Truffles and Celeriac Mash
    Zebra Angel Hair Basket with Beef Tenderloin, Lobster, Shrimp and Scallops
    Grand Marnier and raspberry infused souffle
    Passion Fruit creme brulee

There was not a misstep at any point. Been at least a dozen years since I had that sort of a dining experience.

It's very expensive, but I have spent a lot less for dinner and wasted a lot more money in the process than I did last week on Sharon Road.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Oh my.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought good dining ended about three miles south of DC, but when you get into the older, traditional Southern cities, there are some great, great places to eat.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Jeez, you getting executed?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Did he stop up a toilet?

12. lono

lono Active Member

Mmmm ... Zebra is most excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted