1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlotte Bound

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Mar 28, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

There's a really good restaurant, Cabo Fish Taco, in the NoDa (North Davidson) section just north of downtown.
    When I was growing up there, Charlotte was the most boring place on earth. But fortunately for 2008 visitors such as yourself, that was a long, long time ago.
    And in response to brooklyn bridge's observation, Charlotte's downtown is the Stepford Wife of cities. Anything more than 20 years old gets torn down and replaced by something new. The bankers who run the place get really nervous around anything with character.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If you get a chance, take a tour of the historic strip malls. You'll learn a lot.

I highly recommend the Cracker Barrel by the airport.

(Sorry, I hate Charlotte. ;D I have to go there myself soon.)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's too bad you're not staying a month, Alley.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Second the Cabo Fish Taco recommendation. Big time.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I couldn't agree more with Lugnuts' take on the Queef City, but go to Mert's. Go a few times.

I was really surprised to discover that Charlotte has no good bbq places. It's carolina, for pete's sake! WTF?!?

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Don't eat at the KFC in the Charlotte airport.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You are incorrect, sir. Bar B Q King on Wilkinson Boulevard features not only good barbecue, but it has chicken that is first fried and then dipped in barbecue sauce. I just had a minor heart attack as I was typing that.

8. Sam Mills 51

If you're going to do a barbecue pit, go east of I-95.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Uh-oh Sam ... I'm ready to throw down now! EAST of 95????
    How about WEST of 85, like High Point (assuming Kepley's is still in business). The Western N.C. BBQ RULES.

But actually, Lancaster's, which I think is on Mount Holly-Huntersville Road in Charlotte (or at least in Mecklenburg County), is good. And Spoon's on South Blvd.

By the way, Alley, forgot to mention that the new national whitewater rafting center is worth checking out, if you're feeling adventurous. Bit of a trek from downtown, though, west of the city off 85.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh boy, a Lexington vs. Greenville feud!

Also, I thought perhaps Tom Wolfe was getting kinky in his old age

11. Sam Mills 51

I've had Down East barbecue and I feel there is no better.

That doesn't make beardpuller wrong ... I just don't agree with his take on this.

No fights ... there are bigger pigs to fry ...

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Besides which, Memphis kicks all their asses anyhow

Draft saved Draft deleted