1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlotte AP job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 18, 2006.

1. If you liked the AP, then good for you. My stint sucked. We're entitled to our opinions. But you're first post was so full of Kool-Aid anyone who read it got red lips. When you post about accepting blame when it's not your fault, then you've taken a few too many sips.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Or you're a professional with enough self-esteem to take it.

3. What the hell does being professional and having self-esteem have to do with taking blame that doesn't belong to you? That's would apply if it was your fault.

4. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

CC is far too fixated on my one line about blame and fault, so ...

From this point forward, I will hereby stipulate that such a situation completely, truly, absolutely bites the big one and should happen neither at AP nor anywhere else. It's bush league and AP managers who do so should be ashamed of themselves. So you win, CC, you win! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! CC, you win the Lou Baccardi Bobble-Head Doll!

Now, please remove the A and the P from all of your computer keyboards so you never again even have to think about the company. Never shop at the A&P again. And don't listen to any P.A. announcers. And, by all means, never write the word "cheap" in any story again because -- all together now, people -- you can't spell "cheap" without the AP.

Love,
    Mike

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Damn it. I always thought the saying went: "You can't spell crap without the AP."

Guess I stand corrected.

6. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Any news on Charlotte or Raleigh?

7. And to bring different parts of this thread together, didn't Dahlberg start at a tiny community paper?

8. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Well, one of those three major hires misspelled a prominent player's/coach's name in the lede of the first bylined story I saw by said top talent. In the last two weeks, I can remember two other errors (and these aren't arcane facts, either, but more a product of worrying more about style than substance) that said top talent committed. We run his stuff frequently because of geographical proximity, but it's with considerable teeth-gnashing. Given space constraints of most papers and the role that AP fills, top talent is secondary to reliably accurate reporting. Of course, some of AP's writers manifest the accuracy and reliability as well as top writing. Steven Wine (Miami) and Bob Baum (hell ... uh, I mean Phoenix) are probably my Nos. 1 and 2 (and no, my name ain't Steve or Bob).

And it has to be said ... why all the love for Pells? Anybody else read his lead on the NCAA men's basketball title game? Some lame allusion to Joakim Noah's dad ... "Game. Set. Championship." or something similarly awful.

9. PussyMalanga

PussyMalanga Guest

I asked Jenna for an update the other day. She said they had something like 50 applicants for Charlotte, whittled it down to seven for phone interviews, and were cutting that field down for finalists. All outside candidates.

Raleigh is closer to being locked up, she said, by an internal candidate.

10. Anybody know where the internal is coming from?

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Mississippi?

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

You are correct sir.

Draft saved Draft deleted