1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlotte AP job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Republic's Andrew Bagnato took the gig.

2. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Who got the second opening at the Denver AP?

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am just going on this.
    Six months ago, you had Jenna Fryer, Aaron Beard and Keith Parsons.
    Now you will have <fill in name>, Aaron Beard and Keith Parsons.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And Jenna Fryer, because she is staying in Charlotte.

I was going on the fact the in-house posting I saw said "Jenna Fryer has transferred to sports," which usually means the person is going to NY. She is not. It appears they are adding a writer in Charlotte, hence my Michigan question.

However, if the position Jenna has used to be a NY-based SPT position, then AP didn't really add a job, they just moved it to another city. Which means the speculation that the next new sports writer AP adds will be in Michigan could still be true.

I'm amazed they're already interviewing for the new/reallocated/whatever Charlotte job.

Arnie Stapleton from Milwaukee went to the Denver job - or at least, the last Denver job I knew about. That was a while ago.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Eddie Pells still is in Denver doing some stuff, but he has "AP National Writer" on his byline.

6. OkayPlayer

OkayPlayer Member

Melissa Trujillo has been getting bylines in Denver, so I'm assuming she's the latest writer in that bureau. Then again, she could be news and just fills in from time to time for Nuggets or Avs since Pells is still in Denver and Stapelton is there now as well.

7. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Ok, so who took Stapleton's place in Milwaukee?

8. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

I don't mean to be critical or obnoxious, but I get so tired of the crap they give people about what the experience is they require. I know that it's what the big wigs say, but in reality, I  guess I'm just frustrated that there are more jobs require this asinine experience than there are jobs that give you the experience.
    I bust my tail covering three crappy prep school programs that won't get me any further than the next small town paper without anything more than a one man department where you're underpaid and overworked. If a writer knows in his heart that he can do a beat job that opens and has to sit at the mercy of the college graduates who are walking into those jobs instead of paying their dues like we have...but the big problem is you pay dues for so long and you stop running out of money...maybe it's time some of these papers stop trying to find someone who has spent four years in college and start looking at those of us out there that have been working in chicken**** purgatory for 10 years and give us a chance for a while. maybe it should be our turn for a change.
    Sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm tired from working 60 or 70 hours a week for peanuts covering stuff, then getting in the office in the morning writting in one day what the news guys are responsible for in one week, then spending 45 quality minutes with my family before I go back to it...and don't get me started on taking your own pictures and then writting your own stories...sorry to make somebody mad, but I'm just venting I guess...Never mind

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is right or not, but I see recent AP bylines from Chris Jenkins and Colin Fly out of Milwaukee.

But our AP guy told me today that there still is an opening in Denver.

10. If you've been working in chicken**** purgatory for 10 years and don't like it, maybe it's a signal you should get the hell out of the business.

No offense, but it's presumptuous and obnoxious for someone who covers "three crappy prep school programs" at a small-town paper to insist he or she can work a major beat as good or better than someone who actually has experience covering a major beat.

Paying your dues means gradually advancing through bigger and bigger markets. Wallowing in some shithole for 10 years isn't usually going to catch the eye of an editor who is thumbing through a stack of 200 resumes. Sorry bro, but that's just reality.

working in chicken**** purgatory for 10 years and give us a chance for a while. maybe it should be our turn for a change.
    Sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm tired from working 60 or 70 hours a week for peanuts covering stuff, then getting in the office in the morning writting in one day what the news guys are responsible for in one week, then spending 45 quality minutes with my family before I go back to it...and don't get me started on taking your own pictures and then writting your own stories...sorry to make somebody mad, but I'm just venting I guess...Never mind

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Thank you. Glad somebody got to this before I woke up.

12. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

And of course, those will be filled by --- other AP promotions, which will result in cuts because the previous positions won't be filled. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted