1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Wilson's War

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Saw it tonight, it held my interest. Far from the best movie I saw this year, far from the worst. I'm not usually a fan of Roberts or Sorkin, but I found their work less grating than I usually do. I find Julia more appealing visually at this age and her performance was inoffensive if undistinguished, and Sorkin stayed away from that chirpy-quippy dialogue that I found so annoying and so completely unrealistic on Sports Night and West Wing.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The movie is highly - and I mean highly - inconsequential. Seems rushed, like the story is merely a bridging device to the next round of jokes. You'd better have your own knowledge of this situation to fill in some of the blanks, because Sorkin and Nichols are giving what amounts to a witty overview. A lot of random scenes, too. Movie's too hung up on T&A.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Plenty of T, not much A, really.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nice - a whimsical look at what was a very serious event. Could mark a new way to teach history. Next Nichols and Sorkin tackle that fun loving Adolf Hitler and his mistress - Ava Braun. The working title - "The Master Race"

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh? The tracking shot from Amy Adams' heels all the way to her bouncing ponytail - stopping at her ass for 10 seconds - qualifies in my book.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Saw it, liked it -- not great, not bad. I don't think it's an Oscar contender for anything, but I fround it refreshing that what could have been a massive epic was shorter than something like Superbad. Wondered several times about the casting director and how much ass he got from the hot-tub extras. Also was reminded how good the chorus to Angel of the Morning is.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There are probably those who figure Wilson himself was too hung up on T&A. :D

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

just got back - loved it. Phillip Seymor Hoffman should be up for a best supporting actor .

Given limited time to cover a lot of ground I thouht they did a good job of getting the gist of book across.

Had heard that Nicols and Sorkin made a political statement but I did not see it.

Best line of movie uttered by one of Charlie's staffers ( Charlies Girls) to a visting to constuent that the staff was rather well endowed.

"Well Charlie says that you can teach a women to type but you can't teach her to grow tits"

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Saw the History Channel documentary before I saw the movie, and very glad I did. The movie felt a little rushed, and seemed to gloss over the fact that these events took place over a nine-year period.

My girlfriend's jaw dropped at the mention of Bhutto in the movie. Very eerie, in light of current events.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman completely stole the show. Best supporting actor, and it's not even a fair fight. His first scene, the tirade against his boss, was worth the price of admission by itself.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Went w/ the girlfriend. Like Buck, we thought it was odd that something that happened over nine years was made to look like it took all of about three months.

The real political message I saw was some underhanded slamming of Rudy.

Not a bad film, but not a great one either.

Draft saved Draft deleted