1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Wilson's War

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 25, 2007.

1. As to the last point, most of the really scary stuff done by this administration has been done for what the people doing it would describe as those very reasons.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if you are having the same conversation... But the administration is part of the executive branch. Not EVERYTHING has to be about Bush bashing on here. Can't some threads stay unpoluted? My original point was that Charlie Wilson is a Congressman. Yet, he never introduced any legislation. Instead, he took it upon himself to set up a one-man state department/CIA operation. It's an interesting story. One that if replicated by someone else could turn the U.S. into a dictatorship at the extreme. There is a reason why what he did is a violation of U.S. Statute that keeps lone wolves from negotiating U.S. Foreign policy on their own and usurping power they have no claim to.

He negotiated directly with foreign countries, including trying to squire arms deals between Pakistan and Israel, or having defense contractors design weapons systems for the muhjadin in Afghanistan without authorization from anywhere but his own head (numerous other examples of his dealings with foreign countries). These things don't fall under the job description of "Congressman from small town in Texas," but he was a master at manipulating the system, and sitting on the appropriations committee with a bunch of idiots who didn't have their eye on the ball, he could pretty much pass through whatever money for whatever causes he wanted with very few questions asked. It took a simple 3-minute phone call for him to double the amount of money the CIA was filtering into Afghanistan, when his plan began. That is ridiculous.

Whatever you think of Bush, he is the president of the United States. The executive branch (president, VP, Secretary of State, CIA at their direction) determine U.S. Foreign policy. You might disagree with Bush's foreign policy and I know you will argue that he is a criminal in the way he has done things, but the fact remains that stewarding our foreign policy is the role he was elected to play. That is not the role that a single Congressman was elected to play.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing the movie but sure that it can't do the book justice. Way to much ground to cover that a movie could only do in a cursory manner.

My overall takeaway - The U.S was a lot more involved in Afganistan that most were aware off in the 80's.

It's too bad that George Crile passed away. It would be interesting to hear about his research for the book.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The History Channel documentary was excellent.
    I got the impression that Wilson was able to do what he wanted because of his committee memberships and that of all the people in Congress the one most likely to wage his own private war in Afghanistan was not the coke snorting, hooker dating congressman from east Texas. But Wilson basically took down the Soviet Union because his commie-hating girlfriend asked him to.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

And then she went and got married to someone else.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No kidding.
    "Hey honey, I risked thermonuclear war and the end of life on Earth today"
    "You never listen to me. I'm leaving."
    Did the movie have the American belly dancer bumping and grinding with a sword on the lap of the Egyptian defense minister?
    My only hope is that the movie is as half as interesting as the real-life story.
    I trust Sorkin though. He'll make it work.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Saw it over the weekend and Philip Seymour Hoffman steals the show in this film. He should win the Oscar this year for supporting actor for this film.

This movie is one of the best of 2007 and I highly recommend this flick along with I am Legend.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The movie did have an American belly dancer on the lap of the defense minister (don't recall the sword part of it). And the interesting thing here is the girl who played that part in the movie is Wade Phillips' daughter.

Anyway, I also thought the movie was good, not great, and agree Phillip Seymour Hoffman was outstanding.

9. At the risk of offending Ragu, and giving him his customary case of the vapors whenever threads do not go according to his peaceable design, this was the statement to which I was responding:

"The impression I got, though, was of a man who found ways to cut through red tape and do what he felt was the right thing. In the current political environment, I wonder if that possibility even exists."

Anyone who doesn't think that that describes what a lot of very unelected people -- in the VP's office, the DOJ, the White House Political Office, and the intelligence community -- have been doing in our names for the past seven years isn't thinking clearly enough yet. Wilson's strategy -- which had its basis, lest we forget, in Carter's resistance to the Soviets' forcibly replacing one puppet Afghan regime with another -- worked, until it didn't, which would have been September 11, 2001. I've seen him interviewed and he seems genuinely shaken by the blowback his crusade prompted.
    I wonder more about playing this very important period for laughs. Anyone who's seen the movie can tell me whether or not Sorkin./Nichols et' al. get the balance right.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I thought they did. Clearly there were comical aspects to the movie, but you're never sitting in the theater thinking you're watching a comedy (at least by the current definition). The scenes at the refugee camps on the Pakistani-Afghan border pretty much assure that.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Because, lord knows you better never discuss politics with a smile on your face.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I took my daughter to see it on Christmas eve and we both really enjoyed it.

I suspect there is more under-the-radar stuff that goes on like this--we just never hear of it. The fact that Charlie Wilson hit everything with two X chromosomes just makes the story interesting enough to make a movie about it. I mean, who'd want to watch a movie called "Larry Craig's War"?

Draft saved Draft deleted