1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Weis is still gettin' that pot o' gold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 17, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Charlie was clearly miscast as head coach. They should have made him head of the business school.

Sea Bass likes this.
  3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Charlie Weiss/Bobby Bonilla Business School education would be worth a lot more than Trump University.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The AD makes $1.6 million. I wonder how that compares to his salary as a partner at an Indianapolis law firm, his job before taking the Notre Dame position a few years ago.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Kelly obviously makes far more than that - prolly $5 million - through some oddball financing arrangement, yes?

Kelly's obviously a better coach than Weis and Willingham, but it's not like he's won a damn thing. He won't win a damn thing again this year.

6. Dick Whitman

There's like one dude who has, though, during Kelly's tenure: Nick Saban.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, I define "damn thing" a little more broadly than that. The 2012 season was, if I'm honest, a really nice year for him, especially the win at Oklahoma.

But averaging 9-4 over six seasons...that's fine, but it's not upper crust in ND's history. 2-3 in bowls. 3 years outside the top 25. It's fine.

Is he a top ten coach/program manager in CFB? I don't think so. Saban, Meyer, Jimbo, Dantonio, Harbaugh, Shaw, Briles, Stoops, Patterson, Peterson, Dabo...maybe a few more. I think, given the chicken shit Dan Mullen turned into chicken salad at Mississippi State, he's up there. I could argue for Mike Gundy, though he's a prick.

8. Dick Whitman

I would have liked to have seen Kelly's team last year without all the injuries, though.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

BTW, Bonilla made almost as much as Weiss this year.

10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you ink a coach to a 10-year deal after his first seven games. Seriously, most people saw that as a royally dumb move then, but it's even worse now.

11. Dick Whitman

Your point is well-taken, but Weis actually made almost twice as much as Bonilla.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Agreed, but they were desperate not to lose him (even though he wasn't leaving). I can't remember the exact timing, but wasn't that right before or after they nearly beat USC? The end of the Willingham era blew. Davie's teams were mediocre. It was a dumb move, but I can see why ND offered him the deal.

Is Kansas still paying Charlie, too?

Draft saved Draft deleted