1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Weis is An ASS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Aug 7, 2006.

1. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Haugh was the columnist but he reported most of the major news involving Notre Dame in the SBT. His sources were better than anyone else at the SBT.

2. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

George likes spicy chicken.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

What the fuck? Did you just post your fucking resume?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Rugby just assured himself of a life in PR and not real journalism now.

And it's my understanding that the players Carroll quoted in the article that put Charlie Weis' dirty fruit of the looms in a tizzy aren't even students at that piece of shit university in the midwest. But the domers want to control players they even don't have control of. I hope that leprechaun punches Weis in his itty bitty nutsack.

5. IrishRugby

IrishRugby New Member

You make the assumption that I would waste my time in sports journalism, which of course would be mistaken. I prefer to stick with things that actually have an impact and/or require skill. Where would the world be without the likes of Jay Mariotti, Bill Plaschke, and many others? Probably the same place it is now.

Also, Paddy Mullen is enrolled at ND and currently a member of the football team, making him off limits just like everyone else. Solid effort though. I find it funny that people are bashing "fanboys" when all the garbage being spewed on here is a result of unfounded hate (read "jealousy").

6. Flying Headbutt

No jealousy needed to dislike arrogance. And if journalism wasn't having an impact, why did you drag your ass here this late at night? Laugh at the skills needed all you want, but for someone so hard pressed to list his resume on this site I think the only time wasted was spent as you unsuccessfully tried to find a job in the field.

Jeff Carroll has some friends on this site, even if he doesn't post here much or at all anymore. He's good at what he does without trying to trace the lineage of Weis back to Knute Rockne like it's the forgotten chapter at the start of the book of Matthew. That's hard for any douchebag domer fan to swallow. See yourself for that proof.

7. IrishRugby

IrishRugby New Member

Wow, you must be dense if you really think thats my resume. Keep looking at the post, maybe it will hit you in a few hours.

As for the "impact" you have, I still fail to see it. So you are saying the impact you have is to make people disagree and think the people writing the articles are douchepumps? Thats a hell of an impact. If you want to make a difference, go over to Iraq, report from Israel, hell, go cover the Senate for CSPAN. All of these have more "impact" than sports journalism, as they actually affect the day to day activities of people. If sports reporting all of a sudden ceased to exist, we would be no worse off. Face it, on the scale of "important professions", you fall slightly above personal injury lawyers.

I could care less what Carroll decides to write or not write. All I am asking for is thoroughly researched and convincing writing, which was lacking from the series in question. As I said, using numbers of hits from google doesn't cut it as hard-hitting journalism.

8. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Is Carroll the guy who got fired for ripping on the NWI Times on this board?

9. Flying Headbutt

Smokey, no, that wasn't him.

IR.... I have friends who have been there, done that, and continue to do that. While I haven't gone overseas, I've covered many of the people who do have the "impact" you feel is so important. In the last year I've had dozens more conversations and interviews with members of congress than I have with jocks. One press pass I haven't lost is the one the White House issued to me. I guess then that at least some of us here have made an impact of some sort.

On the other hand, there are a bunch of people in this world, including yourself obviously, who rabidly devour coverage of their favorite college teams. It causes enough of an impact that it brings people like you here to debate their points and qualifications. I'd be willing to wager that a good portion of newspaper subscriptions are driven by the sports section. Not entirely and that number will vary from paper to paper, but it's important enough for many people. If sports pages simply disappeared and no one paid any attention to the games, it'd be people like you screaming the loudest asking for more content and information. Failing to admit that at worst sports writers are a necessary evil is disingenuous and intellectually dishonest. If it's that simplistic though it just means you're an idiot.

10. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

So why the hell did you just post McNuggetsMan's resume?

11. IrishRugby

IrishRugby New Member

I enjoy actually watching the games. I could care less what some shill from the local paper has to say about it. What you seem to be insinuating is the ending of sports, in general. That is not my point. If the pseudo-factual journalism around sports stopped, however, and the games remained, I fail to see how my life would change.

12. Flying Headbutt

Less reporting means less publicity. Free publicity. That turns into less demand. Who is there to report that Local U. has Johnny Varsity threatening for a Heisman? Hell, who has the Heisman anymore? Who says that Local U. vs. Border Rival State is really number 1 vs. number 2? That's a whole hell of a lot of advertising that college and pro teams will need to buy to make up for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted