1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Weis is An ASS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That would be nice in theory, but you know there's a homer or two in any presser. Especially in college, thanks to the fanboy mags. I'm sure a fanboy would interrupt or make some snide-ass remark.

Speaking of fanboys, take a look at this picture from Louisville's media day. It was on the cover of the Sports page. Can you spot the fanboy?

[​IMG]

<PS -- I'm assuming that's a fanboy.>

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a first: someone outing himself. Congrats, Freelance Hack! :D

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, to assess the specifics of why Weis has his knickers in a twist:

The Irish Sports Report, published by the South Bend Tribune, did a multipart series based on the hoopla over the signing of Jimmy Clausen. In my professional opinion, they didn't find much there there to support a multipart series. But the hometown paper did raise a lot of questions, and had people talking about, the old question of whether Notre Dame had to, and indeed was, sacrificing its ideals to get to No. 1 again.

The series pointed out that the SB Trib had a run-in with the AD in 2002 over talking to a recruit on the sideline, and at that point the department forbade any media contact with recruits. Then the reporters noted the ESPN camera crew following Clausen around during his Hummer-driven signing.

The Paddy Mullen the fanboy referred to had this to say in the series:

“That was a little overboard, a little much,” one of Clausen’s future teammates, incoming ND freshman Paddy Mullen would say later, just another voice in the chorus of reactions to the staged event. “When you have your own PR firm, that’s a little ridiculous. He better be good.”

"He's cocky," Mullen said. "He's a typical quarterback. We'll see what happens when he's at Notre Dame and getting knocked around a little bit. We'll see when he has a defensive tackle tackling the crap out of him.

"I committed to Notre Dame. I told as many people as I could, people who called. But I don't have a PR firm putting my name out there. ... This guy better be unbelievable."

I'm guessing Herr Weis didn't like one teammate ripping (or seeming to rip) another in print.

Weis also was painted as someone who did things on the level, but was ready to exploit any loopholes in NCAA rules as much as he could, such as by text messaging instead of phoning (I bet Kelvin Sampson has text-messengers' thumb right about now).

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

No, I don't hold my balls during any interview.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If Paddy Mullen isn't an All-Notre Dame Name selection, who is??

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

That's a stage name if I ever heard one. Unbelievable. Wait til Peter King finds out about it.

That's a great get from those reporters, it says probably what every single ND player was thinking, not to mention all of the asst. coaches...

7. Sly

Sly Active Member

I've got an 80-year-old grandmother who would say "you'll burn in hell" if she heard you say that.

Her doorbell plays the Notre Dame victory march.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I tuned in late to PTI, but I saw they had discussed Notre Dame. Was it this situation or just ND football in general?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My great-grandfather was Notre Dame, Class of 1883. (I think there were about 50 graduates in the class.)

My mother and father both always rooted like hell against them. :D :D

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hank, they just talked about ND in general. Screw Weis. And screw Notre Dame. Signed, a good catholic boy.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Clausen isn't even an official ND "recruit" yet; he hasn't signed an LOI. So any "rules" Weis tries to spew about contacting him should be ignored as often as possible, just as those ND tried to invoke with Samarja (OK,  can't spell) should be ignored while he's playing minor-league baseball.

If Clausen doesn't want to talk, fine. But anyone who holds his commitment news conference at the College Football Halll of Fame isn't coming off as being very media-shy.

And I hope for his sake he turns out to be a better player than his brothers, otherwise he'll get roasted alive by the most fickle fans in the country.

12. Ron Powlus says hello

Draft saved Draft deleted