1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Weis exposed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by scribebaseball, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Enough with the Ty Willingham defense. He left the Stanford cupboard empty, and he's done squat at Washington. He was a dubious hire in the first place, just like Bob Davie.

Now Weis...he asks too much of his offense in big games. Asks Quinn to make too many tight throws, and his receivers to make too many spectacular catches. His throw-early and often gameplan immediately put ND in a hole it never climbed out of. Against good teams he tries to get in a scoring contest and it backfires.

Personally, I think it's rotten that ND can play bums all season, get bombed out in two of its three big games that season, and still prance into a BCS game. And if those assholes on the Rose Bowl committee
    actually have the gall to slot ND in a rematch with Michigan, then Michigan oughta just stay home, or offer to switch places with Wisconsin and play the Arkansas/Florida loser in the Citrus.

If West Virginia beats Rutgers and USC beats UCLA - which I fully expect - here's how it could look:

BCS Title: Ohio State vs. USC
    Rose: Michigan
    Fiesta: Nebraska/Oklahoma winner
    Sugar: Florida/Arkansas winner
    Orange: Louisville vs. Wake/GTech winner

The at large bids are most likely LSU, ND and Boise State. The Rose would choose first because it also lost the Pac-10 champ. But I just can't see how any adult would force Michigan to play a team it had already beaten so soundly on the road. Obviously, the honorable decision would be to take undefeated Boise State, give them the shot of a lifetime and let them bring half of Idaho with them. But more likely it'll be LSU.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

What?
    Winning the Commander-In-Chief's trophy doesn't earn you an automatic bid to the BCS?

3. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Willingham went 11-13 in his final two seasons. Recruiting was way down under his watch, too. That is why the defense is devoid of speed and the offensive line gets pushed around by teams like USC and Ohio State.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Boise State would get thrashed by Michigan, but who doesn't love an underdog story? LSU-Michigan would make for a decent Rose Bowl too. If Notre Dame gets to go to Pasadena, I'm going to be ill.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Here's the thing, and I hate ND as much as any right-thinking person ...

Who the hell else do you send to the BCS? IIRC, no conference can send three teams to the BCS. So, here's your latest BCS Standings:

Bolded teams likely to receive bids
    1. Ohio State
    2. Southern California
    3. Michigan
    4. Florida
    5. LSU
    6. Louisville

7. Wisconsin -- Third team from Big Ten. Ineligible
    8. Boise State
    9. Arkansas -- Third team from SEC. Ineligible.
    10. Notre Dame
    11. Auburn -- Third team from SEC. Ineligible.
    12. Oklahoma
    13. Rutgers
    14. Virginia Tech
    15. West Virginia

ACC champion is also in

Basically, it's a choice between ND and a second Big East or ACC team. If Rutgers beats West Virginia you can make an argument for the Scarlet Knights.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Florida hasn't earned that bid yet. But aren't the Gators eligible if they lose?

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Sure. But they'll be coming off a loss and competing with LSU for that BCS berth. And a loss would likely drop Florida behind LSU. Either way, I don't see the winner of the SECCG making that big an impact on the BCS situation.

The conference will get two. And neither will play for the title. Who the two are is largely irrelevant, in the grand scheme of how it affects other teams.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's not a choice... BCS bowls will take a marquee name and TV power in ND over Rutgers every time... deserved or not.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Charlie Weis exposed? What? His breasts? Blech.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Actually, Weis has a point there. What business does Notre Dame, a team that got blasted by both teams, have persuading voters with their opinion voiced from six feet under? That's like asking Stanford to judge Notre Dame and USC - though I don't think Stanford played USC this year.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If Rutgers beats West Virginia, then it gets the Big East bid by virtue of its win over Louisville.

And even if Louisville is ranked higher, the BC$ bowls will always pick Notre Dame over a more worthy team.

Draft saved Draft deleted